Post Date: 06/12/2018
Close Date: 08/31/2018
Director – Human Resources
Do you believe the work you do should enrich the lives of others and improve the world in which we live? Would you like to work in a dynamic environment that values unique perspectives and colleagues who are passionate about learning? If so, we have a place for you at Education Northwest.
Education Northwest is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to helping all children and youth reach their full potential. We partner with public, private, and community-based organizations to address educational inequities and improve student success. While most of our work centers on the Pacific Northwest, our evaluations, technical assistance, and research studies have national impact and provide timely and actionable results.
We are looking for a Director of Human Resources to support the organization in recruiting, developing, and retaining high quality, diverse staff in support of the organizational culture and mission.
Supervisory Responsibility: Assign work and supervise HR/Facilities team (5 staff)
• Lead the organization’s talent recruitment, development, and retention initiatives
• Implement Human Resources policies and talent initiatives to support the executive team in the implementation of the strategic direction.
• Develop and institute equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives that ensure an organizational culture that promotes and supports Education Northwest’s mission and values
• Facilitate and participate in union contract negotiations, as well as demonstrate and promote respectful and responsive labor relations with union members
• Ensure the establishment and delivery of effective employee onboarding and ongoing development opportunities that reflect both employees’ and the organization's needs
• Develop and implement organizational learning and knowledge management initiatives
• Create effective coaching opportunities for staff to strengthen the organization’s talent pipeline, retain strong performers, and address performance and other staffing issues
• Assess and report on employee satisfaction in the spirit of continuous improvement, while providing opportunities to better support employees and foster high performance
• Build, manage, and coach the Human Resources team, ensuring alignment of individual and group objectives to overall goals, strategic priorities, and performance standards
• Manage Human Resources team to ensure compliance with all employee related regulatory and Federal Contractor requirements
• Negotiate contracts and ensure benefits coverage to best attract and support talented workforce within organizational budget and regulatory requirements
• Partner with senior leaders to advance Education Northwest’s culture, positioning the organization as a highly desirable place to work
• Utilize data and metrics to inform talent management, planning, and success, including analyzing the effectiveness and return on investment of talent initiatives
• Serve on the senior leadership council, acting as a strategic advisor, functional expert, and thought partner on employee recruitment, development, and engagement strategies that align with Education Northwest’s values, mission, and strategic goals
• Support the board of directors in the annual CEO performance review and compensation process.
• Administer the Steve Nelson Native Education Scholarship Program.
Ideal Candidates will possess
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in HR or organizational development (OD)-related field preferred
• Minimum of 8 years of management experience, with at least 5 years of experience in senior human resources, talent management, or OD, at a mission-driven, professional services nonprofit, education, or research organization
• Experience developing and leading internal equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives required
• Experience in a union environment highly preferred
• Experience with completion of reporting and compliance requirements pertaining to state and federal employment law, EEO/AA, ERISA, leave laws, benefits plan compliance and Health Information Privacy Protection.
• Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor direct reports, peers, and executives on sound talent management practices
• Excellent relationship-building skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships with individuals and teams with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics
• Ability to achieve strong results while maintaining an inclusive, collaborative leadership style
• Strong strategic thinker with the capacity to use data to drive decisions, as well as a hands-on approach to implementation
• Proven ability to hire, develop, and retain effective, diverse teams and to work in a fast-paced, growing professional services environment
• Demonstrated ability to manage strategic HR functions, as well as serve as a motivating staff manager
• Strong oral and written communication, presentation, and leadership skills with particular experience in change management
• High level proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Experience with ADP HRIS systems preferred
Travel and Other Key Requirements
• Ability to travel by air and drive a car to various areas usually out of state but within region (up to 5% of work days)
• Office environment, based in Portland, Oregon
Interested in being a part of this amazing and diverse team of dedicated individuals? Please submit your resume and cover letter at https://www.localjobnetwork.com/job/detail/32164360/Director-Human-Resources.
Please include the Position Number above and salary requirements in your cover letter.
Position will remain open until filled
Find out more about Education Northwest by connecting with us on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/educationnorthwest and/or following us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/#!/educationnw
Education Northwest is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.