Post Date: 02/15/2018
Close Date: 03/30/2018
Oregon Episcopal School seeks a collaborative, engaged educator to join its Science Department. The position consists of four sections of seventh grade science. Other full-time faculty responsibilities include being an adviser and occasional chaperoning duties. Strong candidates will have a demonstrated history of innovative pedagogies, integration of technology, and collegial engagement with professional peers. As OES is dedicated to developing our Essential Competencies in all students, we are looking for candidates skilled in project-based learning who possess an appreciation for the real world context of scientific pursuits. In addition to the qualifications detailed below, the successful candidate will have an inclusive spirit and the ability to support the OES mission, vision, and identity.
This full-time, exempt, academic year, position starts on August 20, 2018. It comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including 95 percent employer paid health insurance for the employee, (25 percent for dependents), a 403(b) retirement plan with generous employer match, abundant professional development opportunities, tuition remission for up to two admissions eligible children, and one excellent free meal daily. To learn more, visit the OES Benefits Guide.
• Facilitate dynamic, engaging, and effective learning experiences for MS students, and evaluate course materials and develop new curricula as needed.
• Integrate technology in teaching and assessment.
• Manage the classroom environment so that all students can learn safely.
• Evaluate and return student work and evaluation reports in a timely manner.
• Collaborate effectively with faculty.
• Communicate with students and parents in a clear, timely, and professional manner.
• Advise a group of Middle School students.
• Attend MS meetings, Grade-level Team meetings, and Science Department meetings, and parent conferences.
• Chaperone and fulfill school duties as assigned, including overnight trips.
• Be committed to ongoing professional growth and development.
• Serve as a role model for Middle School students.
• BA/BS or equivalent in science or related field
• Three years of experience teaching science
• Intercultural competence, ability to interact appropriately with a diverse array of students, coworkers, family members; ability to teach diverse groups of students effectively
• IT skills: general digital literacy, intermediate to advanced MS Office Suite, database skills, web applications including Google Docs, Zoom or Skype, etc. as appropriate to job duties
• Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
• MA/MS or equivalent in science or related field
• Experience teaching science to middle school aged students
• Experience with inquiry-based teaching and project-based learning
• Experience using digital tools and teaching in a 1:1 laptop environment
• Successful history with innovation in the teaching of science, technology integration, and project based learning
• Experience with computer science and coding
• Experience undertaking scientific research in a collaborative academic setting, especially where candidate guided others in the endeavor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate and maintain collegial relations with colleagues
• Ability to develop curriculum with consideration of scope and sequence
• Ability to maintain a flexible mindset and an innovative approach to teaching
• Knowledge of educational technology; openness to innovation, willingness to learn and adapt as digital tools evolve, ability to integrate evolving IT into curriculum
• Primarily classroom environment, ability to sit at a computer and keyboard for moderate periods
• Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis
• Ability to see, hear and speak clearly to interact with groups of individuals
• Ability to move about the OES campus
COMPENSATION: Faculty salary scale based on degree and years of experience
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please visit the OES website to learn more about the School and its programs. Interested candidates should forward complete the OES Application for Employment and attach a resume and cover letter.
Oregon Episcopal School does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristic or status.
Complete details: https://www.oes.edu/careers