Post Date: 01/16/2018
Close Date: 03/15/2018
Dean of Instruction, Southeast Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09253
Location: Southeast Campus
Address: 2305 SE 82nd and Division, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level O: Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Minimum $97,319 to range mid-point of $119,217. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Range is $97,319 to $141,113)
Job Close Date: Deadline for Preferred Applications is March 2, 2018
Portland Community College's Southeast Campus is looking for a Dean of Instruction. The ideal candidate will be a passionate advocate for equitable student success and innovative, culturally responsive instruction.
The official responsibilities of the Dean of Instruction are to provide overall responsibility and accountability for leadership in long-range planning, program development, problem solving and faculty/staff development in Instruction at PCC's Southeast Campus.
A central responsibility of the Dean of Instruction role at PCC-Southeast is to bring a focus on equitable student success as it relates to instruction and campus climate to this rich, culturally diverse, and newly comprehensive campus. Important aspects of the job include program growth and development in both lower division transfer and career and technical programs, deepening connections and partnerships with community and K-12, and promoting intercultural competency in teaching and learning.
Initiating and managing student success efforts, meeting with innovative deans and faculty, engaging with feeder high schools, attending multicultural campus and community events, and collaborating across the District during a time of exciting change at the college are all in a day's work for this Dean of Instruction.
The Southeast Campus is a tight-knit community that is proud to serve its distinctive, multilingual, multicultural service area. Its history and culture reflect an emphasis on innovation, service, student-centeredness, social justice, and an inclination for action to create positive change for students and community. Student affairs and academics are distinguished by their closeness and collaborative approaches at the campus. Southeast Campus is a vibrant and inspiring place to work. If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, please apply today!
- Job Announcement Published: January 15, 2018
- Deadline for Preferred Applications: March 2, 2018
- Semi-finalist Interviews: May 2-4, 2018
- Finalist On-Campus Interviews and Forums: May 23-25, 2018
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises managers, division faculty, academic professionals, classified staff, technical/support, and/or student staff. Evaluates and oversees the development of professional development plans and goals for assigned areas of responsibility in accordance with good management practices, District policies, and collective bargaining agreements. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
- Provides primary leadership in guiding, planning, implementing, evaluating, and modifying programs, processes, and operations related to assigned areas of responsibility; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines. Plans, implements, administers, and evaluates related programs, projects, and services impacting the college.
- Establishes, monitors, evaluates, and modifies processes, procedures, and/or standards, ensuring alignment with the College's mission, values, goals, and objectives, as well as all local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Monitors programs to ensure compliance with applicable accrediting bodies.
- Serves as a liaison to applicable external agencies and industries, community partners, the general public, internal departments, and applicable educational institutions representing the College with respect to academic and/or student service programs, processes, and procedures.
- Participates on various committees, including a variety of leadership groups and teams.
- Provides leadership in problem-solving and promoting operational systems improvement.
- Develops, implements, and directs the expansion of programs in support of District goals and objectives.
- Leads the development and management of budgets in assigned areas of responsibility; strategizes, anticipates, and secures resources for programs and operational improvements.
- Advises and responds to questions from College departments and external agencies regarding complex issues or policies impacting assigned programs and services. Investigates, addresses and resolves problems, grievances, and complaints related to conduct issues of faculty and/or students.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
- Providing leadership in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of instructional programs for the College.
- Providing leadership to the oversight of District curriculum and delivery, including the implementation of systems improvements in educational programs and instructional delivery systems.
- Providing leadership for facilities projects, including bond planning, implementation, and coordination, as well as planning for capital construction needs, special program projects, and classroom and office improvements.
- Overseeing and participating in the recruiting, selection and evaluation of instructors.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
Note: Experience requirements use full-time equivalent
- Master's Degree
- Eight (8) years progressively responsible college administration experience in student services, enrollment, or instruction
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Resonant and appreciative leadership style.
- Experience as an innovative leader in a growing and changing environment.
- Experience promoting and supporting diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education campus environments, operations, and academic approaches; awareness of the barriers that first-generation and historically-underserved populations face in institutions of higher education.
- Experience supervising deans and other administrators who have direct reports.
(Position manages 2 deans overseeing 37 academic disciplines, employing 173 PT and 39 FT faculty members)
- Experience with budget, enrollment management, student retention efforts, and making data-driven decisions based on qualitative and quantitative data.
(Position responsible for enrollment management of approximately 3,142 SFTE and 12,000 headcount)
- Experience managing division/departments in a complex organization where collaboration and positive relationships are essential; experience in a multi-campus college an asset.
- Experience in higher education program management including career technical education (CTE), college transfer, general education, developmental education and Adult Basic Skills.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining effective communication with faculty, staff, students, and the community.
- Experience working collaboratively in a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience in developing external successful partnerships with business and industry, K-12, community organizations, governmental agencies, and foundations.
Important Knowledge and Skills
- Leadership and managerial principles;
- Budgeting principles and practices;
- Contract management principles and practices;
- Accreditation standards;
- Conflict mediation principles and practices;
- Public relations principles;
- Strategic management principles and practices;
- Program management and development principles;
- Higher education principles and practices.
- Directing and providing leadership to subordinate staff;
- Providing strategic leadership;
- Planning, implementing, improving, and evaluating broad-based programs, policies, and procedures;
- Directing the development and management of budgets;
- Assisting in the administration of campus operations;
- Evaluating assigned programmatic area for compliance with applicable regulations and accreditation requirements;
- Speaking in public;
- Evaluating research to identify potential solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
- Mediating conflict;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Working hours may vary and occasional evening or weekend work is required. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
4. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see \"Required Questions\" below (Attach document)
Each response should not exceed 500 words.
1. Provide specific examples of how you have supported faculty innovation in serving students who are historically underrepresented.
2. Provide specific examples of how you have engaged in advocacy within complex college environments.
3. Provide specific examples of how you have developed external partnerships with business and industry, K-12, community organizations, governmental agencies, and foundations.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1151641
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1151641