Post Date: 12/21/2017
Close Date: 01/18/2018
Position type: Exempt
Salary: $45,000-$50,000 DOQ
Opens: December 19, 2017
Closes: January 12, 2018
Location: Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks a creative, dynamic, and collaborative individual to fill the position of Outreach Specialist/Volleyball Coach in the Outreach and Recruitment and Athletics departments.
The Outreach Specialist/Volleyball Coach reports directly to the Director of Outreach & Recruitment and Director of Athletics and is responsible for two distinct roles: act as a key Recruiter for the college, and serve as the Women’s Volleyball coach developing SPSCC’s volleyball program.
This position assists with providing the first steps for potential students and members of the community in pursuing their educational endeavors. This position will manage the development and implementation of targeted student recruitment and outreach designed to meet the enrollment goals in targeted geographic areas and specific student populations. This position will coach and train collegiate-eligible athletes in volleyball skills in order to represent the College at the intercollegiate level of competition. A flexible working schedule is required as both elements of the position will require evening and weekend work.
Provide basic and detailed information related to college educational programs and services to students, parents and other community members who inquire.
• Recruit students from all backgrounds, regardless of ethnicity, socio-economic status, or gender, as well as through respectful interactions with other SPSCC representatives in compliance with SPSCC’s Non-Discrimination Policy.
• Plan, develop, organize, implement and facilitate information sessions and presentations for high schools, the general public and targeted community members.
• Schedule and conduct regular high school visits, and attend recruitment fairs at a variety of venues, including high schools and community service agencies.
• Communicate both orally and in written form with prospects and their advocates about SPSCC’s admission requirements, program offerings, basic financial aid requirements and regulations, and scholarship opportunities.
• Provide one-on-one enrollment steps appointments with prospective students, as needed, to support them through the process of becoming a student at SPSCC.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of SPSCC Olympia and Lacey campus programs and opportunities of interest to prospective students and the community
• Assist in overseeing and supporting Start Here Welcome Desk team.
• Manage development of constructive relationships with prospective students and their families, as well as high school counselors, teachers, principals, alumni, and other constituents.
• Lead efforts in maintaining contact with community based organizations and schools and support efforts in Student Services.
Provide leadership and direction to the Women’s Volleyball program.
• Conduct the Women’s Volleyball program in accordance with the NWAC and college rules and regulations.
• Collaborate with Athletics staff to foster partnerships between Women’s Volleyball and local and campus communities.
• An understanding of the importance of marketing and fundraising as it relates to the success of intercollegiate athletics
• Teach the fundamentals and physical conditioning relative to Women’s Volleyball.
• Recruit athletes and develop a competitive schedule of games/tournaments within the NWAC conference rules.
• Plan and supervise transportation of the team; ensure timely processing of paperwork.
• Demonstrate appropriate behavior and sportsmanship expected of athletic teams and individuals representing SPSCC.
• Support and monitor the academic progress of student-athletes.
• Maintain, manage, conduct inventory and accept responsibility for all sport equipment and uniforms.
• Prepare annual budget request for the Women’s Volleyball Program
• Other related duties as assigned.
Assist in the data and process management of students in the enrollment funnel, and the attainment of numeric recruiting goals set by the Director of Student Outreach & Recruitment.
• Proactively organize, implement and track recruitment activities and events at various schools and organizations and keep detailed data on events attended.
• Utilize the Client Relationship Management (CRM) system to track prospect contact, communicate with targeted groups of students, and analyze data on prospective student interactions/conversions.
• Maintain knowledge base of off-site proctoring of the ACCUPLACER placement test, conduct annual training of community proctors, and administration of database of testing scores.
• Provide reports pertaining to outreach & recruitment activities.
Working as part of a team, provide program coordination for various campus visits, regular workshop offerings and information sessions, as well as support in enrollment and recruitment for related programs on campus.
• Schedule, coordinate, facilitate and document Group Visits/Tours to campus, and serve as direct contact for all group visit event logistics.
• Provide information via community and large & small group presentations, including coordination of Admission Information Sessions.
• Manage program projects, coordinate events and outreach activities including scheduled campus tours.
• Conduct Running Start information sessions.
• Provide transition workshops to assist students when transitioning from ABE/GED/ESL courses to college courses.
• Provide outreach and support to Worker Retraining students, and facilitate connecting them to appropriate staff members.
• Provide support for Tech Prep teacher verifications, registrations & transcriptions.
• Host presentations on financial literacy and process and options for paying for college.
• Professionally represent SPSCC to its constituents.
• Participate in appropriate on- and off-campus committees and task forces related to outreach and recruiting activities.
• Provide idea-generation, development and publication of relevant outreach materials; track, maintain and distribute outreach materials and assist in the marketing and promotion of SPSCC and its programs.
• Initiate, implement and complete projects independently and as part of a team.
Provide leadership for and co-manage the Ambassador Grant (AG) student ambassador program.
• Develop, implement and facilitate annual/ongoing training & support.
• Mentor AG student ambassadors, facilitate quarterly progress meetings and build a diverse team of student leaders.
• Connect, recruit and build relationships with area high school counselors and staff to build recruitment funnel for ambassador program and outreach by ambassadors to alma mater high schools, and community organizations.
• Coordinate and manage ambassador participation at on- and off-campus events; manage the AG budget and track volunteer hours.
• Bachelor’s degree in Leadership, Education or a related field from an accredited college or university AND two (2) years of professional experience in the field OR equivalent education/experience.
• Effective interpersonal skills with an ability to establish strong relationships and partnerships.
• Decisiveness and ability to work in a fast paced environment of growth and change.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, prioritize multiple tasks, and manage competing priorities and demands.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to present in front of groups, work well with others and function as a team member.
• Advanced knowledge of computers and software applications, specifically MS Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Commitment to a working environment that values a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds.
• Playing and/or coaching experience in Women’s Volleyball and/or a demonstrated leadership role within Athletics
• Master’s degree
• Experience as a Head Coach (and/or Assistant Coach) at the Club, High School or College level
Your responses to the following questions are required as part of your application for this position; not to exceed three (3) pages.
1. Please describe your experience with student recruitment and outreach activities, and/or your work building teams.
2. What is your philosophy of coaching and its relationship to education?
3. How do you see this position supporting student learning, success, & completion?
4. What interests you in this position and how do you think your prior experiences and interests prepare you for it? Please address both the Student Outreach and Volleyball Coaching aspects of this position in your response.
5. Please describe how you will contribute to the diversity of this campus.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following required items:
• Completed SPSCC Employment Application
• Letter of formal application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement
• Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications
• Responses to the Supplemental Questions
• Copies of unofficial transcripts.
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Complete details: https://spscc.edu/employment