Post Date: 02/05/2018
Close Date: 02/26/2018
The City of Gresham is seeking qualified and enthusiastic individuals to work as seasonal Public Utility Workers (PUW's) in our Parks Division of the Finance & Management Services Department. There are several positions available. These are considered temporary assignments.
• Three positions will start on April 2, 2018 and run through October 2, 2018
• Two positions will start on June 4, 2018 and run through November 2, 2018.
In this role, you will receive good pay for hard work. You will also build a resume and gain experience that can equip you for a career in public works at the City of Gresham or elsewhere. You will have a steady, set work schedule. Your schedule may include working weekends and holidays to keep Gresham Parks maintained during the busy season. Your work will directly benefit community members and sporting activities.
You may be a good fit for this job if you:
• Like working outdoors in varying weather conditions
• Have a strong work ethic
• Are honest
• Have a friendly personality to interact with citizens
• Can work in a team or independently
As a Public Utility Worker, you will be responsible for performing regular and recurring inspection, maintenance, and repair activities on the City's Parks facilities. To complete this work, you will be required to operate a variety of hand and power-operated tools and equipment, including but not limited to: shovels, picks, hand and riding mowers, powered edger, back-pack blower, weed-eater, powered pole-saw, chainsaw, drills, skill saw, pressure washer, and brush chipper.
In addition, for some work tasks, you may operate a variety of heavy equipment including: small dump truck, front loader, and tractors. Work is performed both independently and as part of a crew; primarily outside in varying and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time. There may be exposure to loud noises, gasses, fumes, paint chemicals and pesticides, and some risk of physical hazard from mechanical and electrical equipment.
Knowledge of or commitment to learn:
• Basic maintenance and repair methods and procedures used in assigned area.
• Safety practices and procedures applicable to area of assignment.
• Safe and effective operating practices of light equipment used in assigned area.
• Electricity and electrically charged equipment and facilities.
• Computers and computer applications
• Operate light equipment and power tools used in public works maintenance operations.
• Work independently or as part of a crew.
• Perform heavy manual work under confined and uncomfortable conditions.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Communicate effectively and courteously with City employees and the public.
• Read and follow maps
• Keep written records
• Ability to work in environments requiring the use of a respirator.
• Demonstrate pre-trip inspections and display practical driving skills.
• Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Must be a high school graduate or have passed the GED test of equivalency.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• Must possess a good driving record (based on our driving matrix as listed below)
• Must understand instructions in English, both orally and in writing.
• Must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the hire.
• Must possess the physical ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 85 pounds and perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Communicate effectively
You will be disqualified from this process if you possess any of the following driving infractions:
• A major traffic offense or accident that results in death or major injury.
• Driving under the influence (DUI) offense within the last 5 years.
• Have more than 3 moving violations within a 3-year period or more than 2 within a one- year period.
• Have more than 2 accidents within a 3-year period.
Apply online at: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs
Complete details: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs