Post Date: 02/21/2018
Close Date: 03/09/2018
Since 1973 The Oregon Community Foundation (OCF) has pursued a mission to improve lives for all Oregonians through the power of philanthropy. With a growing endowment nearing $2 billion, OCF has become one of the nation’s largest community foundations, awarding more than $109 million last year in grants and scholarships. OCF connects caring with action by matching donors to causes and communities in need. OCF’s work rests on some basic principles: responsible stewardship of funds entrusted by donors; work in partnership to address common needs and aspirations; prioritize investments that create substantive change and attempt to resolve problems at their source; advance equity, diversity and inclusion through programs; and research and evaluate programs and initiatives.
We have an opening for a full-time (35 hours per week) Accountant who will have primary responsibility for timely and accurate maintenance of the Foundation’s general ledger and Tax Form 990 preparation. This position reports to the Accounting Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain OCF’s general ledger, including monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts
• Prepare monthly reconciliations of multiple investment accounts and pools and post investment return allocations to funds
• Prepare monthly bank account reconciliations and post adjustments to the general ledger as required
• Review and post all non-cash gifts
• Record in the general ledger all activity in charitable trusts, including set up of new trusts and closing of matured trusts
• Prepare select audit work papers, as assigned and, in cooperation with the Accounting Director, ensure timely and accurate preparation of the Foundation’s annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principals
• In collaboration with the Accounting Director, prepare annual Federal Forms 990 and 990T and Oregon CT-12 for the Foundation and its supporting organizations
• Provide leadership in initiating and developing enhancements to maintain an efficient and effective accounting department
• Stay informed of accounting issues related to community foundations
• Provide backup support for other Finance and Fund Services staff as required
Requirements and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field, or equivalent education and experience
• Solid knowledge of accounting theory, including non-profit accounting
• Five or more years of accounting experience, preferably in non-profit accounting
• Ability to understand and apply basic mathematical concepts correctly – arithmetic, graphing, percentages, etc.
• Strong working knowledge of Windows XP, MS Office (especially Excel), databases
• Excellent customer service skills – courteous, competent service to internal and external customers
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational skills — detailed and accurate
• Able to prioritize and manage work efficiently and shift priorities when needed to meet deadlines
• Able to work independently as well as work effectively and cooperatively with other team members
• Proficient at problem solving and analysis, is proactive and adaptable to change
• Excellent computer skills: Windows XP, MS Office (especially Excel), databases
• Able to work extra hours as needed due to cyclical nature of work
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• In addition to the specific job requirements for each position, staff are expected to embody certain cultural values to support OCF’s mission: communicate effectively, value one another, demonstrate accountability, embrace possibilities, address conflict and take action.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary for this position starts $56,000, depending on experience. OCF offers an excellent benefit package with generous paid time off, choice of medical and dental plans, vision, outstanding 401k retirement plan, commuter and healthcare savings accounts, employer paid disability and life. Our employees have access to an Employee Assistance Plan, professional development opportunities, and much more!
OCF is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and strives to build a diverse workforce to promote effective work in partnership with all communities and population groups in Oregon. We welcome a diverse pool of qualified applicants.
We are accepting resumes through our career site until March 9, or until the position is filled. Interviews will begin the following week. To apply, provide a cover letter addressing the requirements of this position and include your resume. Apply at https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=ORCF&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
Or visit our career website at https://www.oregoncf.org/explore-ocf/careers