Post Date: 02/20/2018
Close Date: 03/31/2018
The Vice President, Chief of Staff, General Counsel and Board Secretary is responsible for a broad and complex set of assignments related to the duties of the President including, but not limited to direction and management of the President’s agenda and priorities. This includes projects assigned by the President; assisting the President as he undertakes major programmatic, management and administrative responsibilities; demonstrating a commitment to continuous quality improvement and providing outstanding service to a variety of College stakeholders. In the General Counsel role, this individual will manage all legal affairs of the College and Board of Trustees, and provide legal support, advice and assistance to the President, Board of Trustees, executive officers, and various departments of the College.
This position also serves as the Secretary to the Board of Trustees (currently a 30-member body that includes alumni, business and civic leaders, and prominent members of the community).
Lewis & Clark College is committed to achieving a diverse workforce. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status or age.
The College explicitly acknowledges and affirms its conviction that diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, socio-economic background, religious orientation or spirituality, physical or sensory disability, gender, and sexual orientation on the Lewis & Clark campus provides an educational benefit for all students that can be realized only if students and education professionals from diverse backgrounds are present in significant numbers within our learning community. In creating and sustaining such a community, we engage, to the extent possible, in practices that will ensure a high degree of diversity on our campus, simultaneously meeting the highest standards of academic excellence of which we are capable.
•Ability to honor and work with all identities and individuals, particularly those who are underrepresented in the country and/or at Lewis & Clark College.
•Participates as a member of the Lewis & Clark College Executive Council.
• Ensures Executive Council focus on the priorities in the new Lewis & Clark Strategic plan.
• Enhances coordination and synergy among college units.
• Manages the essential administrative functions of the Office of the President and supervises the President’s
• Anticipates problems, critical issues, and opportunities as they arise and recommends appropriate action to the
• Represents the President at meetings, as requested.
• Serves as General Counsel to the President, Board and Executive Officers of the College regarding College business.
• Manages legal and trustee budgets.
• Develops and implements training as necessary for various constituencies regarding legal duties and compliance.
• Represents the College in the legal and business community.
• Conducts bargaining and advises on labor issues with unions.
• Serves as the Secretary to the Board of Trustees.
• Assumes responsibility for organizing the Board of Trustees’ work, coordinating the materials and reports of the Board, and ensures that adequate Board minutes and records are kept.
• Reviews, organizes and interprets all Board Policies of the College.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from ABA accredited law school and member of Oregon State Bar, or willingness to become
a member of Oregon Bar as soon as reasonably possible.
• Minimum eight (8) years of legal experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
• Minimum eight (8) years of experience working in a college or university.
• Experience and knowledge necessary to personally provide or select outside counsel to provide necessary legal services for the College.
• Ability to supervise staff, work well with people and tolerate ambiguity.
• Very strong written and oral communication skills.
• Sound business judgment.
• Ability to set priorities and balance a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities.
• Use confidentiality and judgment in dealing with sensitive issues.
• Experience in building and working with diverse teams.
• Experience in developing and managing budgets.
• Demonstrated ability to manage challenging situations and multiple priorities through to completion, solve problems effectively, and work both independently and as a team member.
• Demonstrated strategic and critical thinking skills.
• Ability to exercise discretion and respond to changing priorities and crisis situations.
To apply, please visit https://www.highereddecisions.com/sss/
Complete details: https://www.highereddecisions.com/sss/