Post Date: 12/28/2017
Close Date: 01/12/2018
Instructional Support Technician II (Biology and Environmental Sciences) Part time
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09203
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Salary Level 16, Part time (.50 FTE); Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $16.07 - $16.42 per hour
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Under the technical direction of one or more members of the faculty or an instructional administrator, the Instructional Support Technician II provides assistance to students involved in various laboratory settings designed to further their knowledge in Biology and Environmental Sciences.
This position is located on the Rock Creek Campus. It is a part time (.50 FTE) position. 20 hours/week, approximately 5 hours/day for four days. Specific days flexible based upon lab needs.
Benefits will be prorated.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
1. Provides direct assistance in the use of equipment and materials needed for instruction; orients students to the laboratory. Sets up established laboratory experiences for students as required by course outline or faculty direction.
2. Acquires, maintains and inventories equipment, materials, supplies, live specimens and written materials required for student instructional needs; performs repairs on equipment; checks out tools, equipment, supplies, materials to students; maintains contact with appropriate vendors.
3. May copy lab-related materials for distribution for students.
4. Maintains records of activities undertaken in support of the laboratory which may include typing forms, inputting data or otherwise retaining information regarding the acquisition, maintenance and distribution of tools, equipment, materials, supplies, and/or written materials.
5. Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory or work area; disposes of hazardous materials according to specific instructions relating to their disposal; assists in providing for a safe environment for the conduct of the laboratory. Reports maintenance problems as they occur.
6. May oversee the work of student helpers; coordinate their activities in support of the instructional goals; train them in appropriate technical aspects of their work; may keep records for pay purposes.
7. Performs other related duties as assigned.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that display these qualifications.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of post-secondary education in Biology or Environmental Sciences.
One year of experience supporting laboratory activities in Biology or Environmental Sciences is required; experience performing the duties of the position may substitute for the post-secondary education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Must have proven communications skills adequate to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform.
1) Preference will be given to applicants with additional education beyond the minimum qualifications in biology, environmental science, or a related field.
2) One year or more experience directing or managing student lab workers.
3) Skill in microbiology lab techniques/preparation.
4) Experience improving processes in a laboratory prep environment.
When you apply, Please be prepared to attach a document with your responses to the following Required Questions:
1. Provide a detailed description of your laboratory work experience or describe your experience working in a science support position preparing laboratory experiments for Biology, Environmental Science, or Microbiology. Describe your involvement in supporting faculty and student instruction in this
2. Describe how you have acquired formal training and/or experience handling, storing, and disposing of hazardous materials as well as learning and applying the rules and regulations governing these activities.
3. PCC's mission supports opportunity and equitable student success. Describe a situation you have encountered in your professional career where you encountered a diversity-related disparity and explain what you did to make things more equitable.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (3) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1130325
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1130325