Post Date: 01/26/2018
Close Date: 03/31/2018
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA) is filling a vacant position for a Communications Officer with experience in media relations and raising public awareness about important health issues. This is an exciting opportunity to join an excellent team, work to promote public health and advance OHA's public information and legislative relations efforts.
The Oregon Health Authority promotes health equity by developing policies and programs to eliminate health disparities and reach health equity for all Oregonians.
What you will do!
As a Communications Officer for OHA, you will focus on the Public Health Division (PHD). You will ensure cross-divisional collaboration on communication of agency policy objectives; and provide support to other OHA divisions as requested and necessary.
In this role, you will carry-out all communications activities as assigned by External Relations: develop communication plans; implement communication policies, procedures and activities to ensure consistency across both internal and external channels; and represent OHA to news media and other audiences.
What's in it for you?
Collaboration in an open office with a dynamic team of skilled and experienced professionals, an opportunity to be center stage on a wide range of health issues facing Oregon and to improve the health of Oregonians. . We offer full medical, vision and dental with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and ten paid holidays per year. If you are a Communications Officer with media relations experience and a passion for public health, don't delay, apply today!
A Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, the Behavioral or Social Sciences or related degree and two years professional level experience in Public Relations or Public Affairs;
Five years of experience in Public Relations or Public Affairs; two of the five years must have been at the professional level.
• Ability to develop effective communications for wide and diverse audiences in language that can be easily understood.
• Demonstrated excellence in writing and strong skills in public speaking, marketing, and editing.
• Experience serving as public information officer or spokesperson for an organization.
• Extensive knowledge of news media operations, communications, program design, project coordination, and publication development.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise good independent judgment, to interpret complex policies or procedures, and effectively communicate these to a select audience.
• Experience developing, editing, and producing multimedia materials, including print, video and web materials.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and execute complex communication plans.
• Experience in public health, health care or working on health issues.
• Experience developing effective stakeholder engagement strategies, building consensus and solving problems (negotiation skills).
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Understanding of the role of a public agency.
• Comfortable working independently.
• Experience in promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment.