Post Date: 02/07/2018
Close Date: 03/30/2018
Deadline to apply: Continuous
Salary: $11.72 - $12.45 hourly
These are temporary positions. Although temporary positions are limited to a maximum of 1040 hours per 12 month period, they are not temporary in duration.
Do you belong at the zoo? Are you looking to work in a fun environment? Do you have a positive attitude, enjoy providing customer service to guests from around the country and the world who represent many backgrounds? Would you enjoy working with co-workers who represent the diversity that the Portland community provides? And, do you thrive on having a variety of job functions to perform? If you would thrive in this type of work environment and could imagine arriving at the workplace each day to be greeted by a mountain goat at the entrance to a world class animal and wildlife conservation facility, the Oregon Zoo may be a perfect workplace for you.
You'll be working in a positive, fun environment at Portland's most visited attraction while building your resume with skills in customer service and teamwork. Schedules fluctuate based on weather and events at the zoo. Hours increase during spring breaks, summer, and ZooLights (month of December).
Admissions staff positions include ticket seller, ticket taker, plaza and bus greeter, concert staff, carousel operator and zoomer golf cart driver. Admissions staff must be available to work in all of these jobs depending on zoo need, including concert and ZooLights shifts as well as weekends and holidays. Applicants without a valid driver's license will not be required to operate a zoomer golf cart.
Pay rate is dependent on daily job assignment. These positions are represented by LIUNA 483 and are classified as Guest Services Workers and Ticket Sellers. Monthly union fees will be deducted from paychecks.
Training may be available after beginning employment for those interested in other Admissions opportunities.
At the Oregon Zoo, we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive.
Admissions positions require the following:
• Minimum of 17 years of age
• High school diploma, GED or sufficient education to demonstrate the ability to read instructions and to perform routine math calculations with accuracy
• One year of experience providing customer service in a public setting
• Must have one year of paid experience with cashiering
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings and holidays
• Any satisfactory equivalent combination of education and post-high school work experience and training that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job duties and responsibilities will be considered.
• Possession of a valid drivers license to drive zoo vehicles
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center. Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Complete details: www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs