Post Date: 02/01/2018
Close Date: 02/12/2018
Position type Part-time, Hourly
Opens January 29, 2018
Closes February 12, 2018
Location Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College is recruiting for one temporary, non-permanent Part Time Campus Security Guard 1. This recruitment is open to all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications stated below. Applications received by the closing date will be used to create an applicant pool that may be used to fill similar vacancies at the college which may occur over the next six months.
The Security Guard 1 reports directly to a Campus Security Sergeant and is responsible for general safety and security of the college campus, the protection of life and property, maintenance of order, providing assistance to visitors, students, faculty, and staff, the enforcement of applicable laws, college policy, rules and regulations, the detection, investigation, and reporting of violations of those laws, policies and rules, and the documentation of other non-criminal incidents reported to the security department.
Work schedule: 12:00 am – 8:00 am
• Patrol campus property on foot or in a security vehicle to enforce college policy, rules and regulations, and applicable local, state, and federal statutes;
• Inspect buildings and grounds for prowlers, suspicious activity, fire, property damage, safety hazards, security of doors, or other irregularities;
• Lock and unlock campus buildings, rooms, and areas, as needed for faculty and staff.
• Traffic direction and control, investigate accidents or incidents; administer first aid; issue citations for traffic violations; gather evidence; locate witnesses; appear in court as required;
• Enforce parking regulations and issue warnings/citations.
• Operate department communication equipment; answer telephone inquiries; receive reports of incidents of concern to security regarding activity on campus; dispatch foot and mobile units; operate emergency alerting systems, control building access through software and key issuance; monitor alarm systems; prepare, type, and distribute reports;
• Issue and enter data on traffic and parking citations.
• Provide escort and other public assistance services as requested for students, faculty, and staff.
• Provide assistance to motorists on campus including jump starts, and lock outs.
• Assist in providing safety instruction and public information and education on safety and security topics to students, faculty, and staff.
• Coordinate activities of and with city police or county sheriff and state patrol in cases of emergency.
• Assist maintenance and grounds in detecting and reporting maintenance and safety issues.
• Perform related duties as required.
• High school graduation or GED and one year of experience in areas of work such as: security guard, correctional officer or store investigations, or, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work. This is the WA State Class minimum. OR
• A certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission; or, a certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program.
• Possession of a valid driver's license; no previous felony convictions; satisfactory completion of a background check.
• Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software such as MS Office.
• Previous experience working in a college environment is preferred.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
This position will perform in college campus buildings and outdoor settings and in an office setting and will operate a motor vehicle, standard office equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, scanner as well as security equipment such as an expandable baton, O.C. spray, handcuffs, and a portable radio. Must have the ability to organize, prioritize and accommodate numerous and sometimes conflicting calls for service and interruptions is essential. This position may require moving boxes weighing up to 30 pounds.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
• Complete SPSCC Employment Application
• Letter of formal application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement
• Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Complete details: https://spscc.edu/employment