Post Date: 12/15/2017
Close Date: 02/15/2018
Position type Faculty, Full time; Tenure Track
Salary $53,217.00 per contract year (177 days)
Opens December 13, 2017
Closes Priority screening date: February 15, 2018; Open until filled
Location SPSCC Campuses in Olympia and Lacey, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks candidates for the 2018-2019 academic year to fill a full-time tenure track position in Chemistry. This position will begin effective September 10, 2018.
South Puget Sound Community College has been serving the city of Olympia and its surrounding communities for more than sixty years and is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, student success and community engagement. Our learning environment combines small class sizes, award-winning faculty and staff, and modern facilities. Our core themes revolve around completion, excellence, equity & diversity, innovation, and community.
Successful candidates will possess the interest, skills and abilities to help college teams lead the state in innovative and collaborative learning experiences designed to optimize student success. Successful candidates will exhibit the following qualities:
• Place student success at the center of all decision-making.
• Engage with students, faculty, staff and administrators to create a community of learners.
• Seek opportunities for teaching and learning excellence.
• Embrace change, risk-taking and innovation.
• Respect the richness of diverse cultural values, beliefs and practices of others.
• Contribute to the technical and general education of students who will apply learning to the world of work and transfer their education to a university.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Faculty members will work with other faculty, staff, and administrators to:
• Teach courses in introductory chemistry for majors and non-majors.
• Create and facilitate contextualized and integrated learning experiences in chemistry in relation to identified college pathways that are linked to career goals.
• Create authentic assessments of students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in chemistry that measure course, program, and college wide outcomes.
• Apply multiple teaching and learning strategies that promote the affective, cognitive and kinesthetic domains of learning
• Provide online, hybrid, and/or e-Learning enhanced courses.
• Use local, state, and national data and analytics to continuously improve strategies for student success.
• Advise students regarding academic pathways and the courses needed to reach each student’s academic goals
• Use a wide range of learning resources, tools and technologies to improve access and student success in higher education.
• Serve on committees that support the shared governance of the college.
• Master’s degree in chemistry or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
• Teaching experience as an instructor of record.
• Experience using learning management systems.
• Ph.D. in chemistry.
• Experience collaborating with laboratory technicians.
• Experience teaching chemistry at a community college or other open admissions higher educational institution.
• Expertise in the development and assessment of laboratory and course curricula.
• A commitment and ability to work effectively with students of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, including a wide range of student preparedness and physical abilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
1. Completed SPSCC Employment Application
2. Letter of formal application that addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement and please include a statement of how you would contribute to the diversity of this campus.
3. Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
4. Copies of unofficial transcripts.
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below,
email is preferred:
E-mail materials to: email@example.com
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Complete details: https://spscc.edu/employment