Post Date: 02/20/2018
Close Date: 03/09/2018
Catlin Gabel School seeks to employ the best qualified individuals from available applicants and to provide them with opportunity for advancement in a manner that does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal equal employment opportunity laws or regulations.
The School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Position Title: Middle School Math Teacher
Department: Middle School
FTE: 1.0 (Exempt)
Reports to: Middle School Head
This position teaches middle school math. A middle school teacher is typically responsible for teaching four classes, as well as working with an advisory group of students. The classes could be in one grade level or across grade levels depending on the needs of the school. We seek applicants who are interested in a dynamic relationship with their colleagues based in positivity and collegiality. In addition to daily formal teaching responsibilities, teachers are expected to participate in, and lead, activities that include but are not limited to extra-curricular, experiential, and community engagement across grade levels. All faculty participate in overnight retreats and trips with students throughout the year. As a progressive school, we expect all employees to embrace whole child education, inquiry-based practices, educating for democracy, and experiential learning pedagogies.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated use of a variety of teaching methods to support different learning styles, academic abilities, and genders, as well as have successful experience teaching mathematics. Candidates should find excitement in helping all students build self-confidence and understand “mathematician” as part of their identity formation through exploration and discovery. Candidates should also understand and embrace culturally competent teaching approaches to learning.
Catlin Gabel demands much from its teachers beyond their classroom responsibilities. Such demands include working with students and colleagues to enrich the school’s life outside the classroom. These demands highlight the fact that any teaching position at Catlin entails more than just working with students in a subject. Though this may be taxing at times, we feel it is both necessary and rewarding.
• Teach middle school math classes (typically four sections)
• Work collaboratively with fellow staff members and administrators in curriculum design, assessment, and instruction as it pertains to specific grade levels and schoolwide program
• Engage in culturally responsive ways
• Collaborate with other middle school teachers, educators, and specialist teachers to develop curriculum, plan trips, and execute special projects
• Work with students to help them develop curiosity, creativity, teamwork, resilience, empathy, independence, time management, and responsible decision making
• Communicate in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students, and colleagues
• Have a high collegial quotient and be a committed and dedicated team player
• Regularly attend, actively listen, and contribute to meetings
• Develop, plan, and lead or co-lead experiential learning activities with a group of students
• Pursue professional growth opportunities, and be accountable and responsible for individual professional learning
• Actively partner to review, plan, and develop school's curriculum, horizontally and vertically
• Coordinate and implement, at the classroom level, appropriate student assessments and utilize assessment results to enhance student learning, including differentiated instruction
• Integrate the use of technology to enhance student learning
• Create an inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for classroom behavior
• Actively support the school through participation in the variety of activities that make the Catlin Gabel School a vibrant community
• Cooperatively work and communicate effectively with parents in conferences and written reports in ways that meet the needs of the students and the school
• Support and follow the Faculty Handbook for Policies and Procedure and MS Professional Expectations
• Be a positive and contributing member of the professional community
• Contribute to all teams by working effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds
• Act as middle school advisor
• Serve as an active member of a grade level team, including participating on class trips
• Other duties as assigned by Middle School Head
SCOPE OF WORK
Though the work is performed largely independently, ongoing collaboration is expected with all math colleagues across the school. Collaboration with grade level teams, committees as assigned, and the Middle School Head are also expected. Big Ideas Math is used for the Middle School math curriculum.
Interactions occur most routinely with students in the classroom and during other activities. Many informal interactions with students for whom the teacher has no direct supervision or responsibility happen regularly. Daily contact ranges from direct teaching of curriculum to informal exchanges of a personal or social nature. Regular contact with colleagues, particularly those working in the same grade level, discipline or on a joint project is expected. Frequent contact with parents either for scheduled conferences or casual conversation is a community norm. Responsible and active collaboration with colleagues, in all divisions, is expected. Important personal qualities include interest in and demonstrated ability to teach and support teenagers, ability to work effectively with a team, a sense of humor, flexibility, organizational ability, energy, and collegiality.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• BA or BS in math or related field required.
• MA or MS in math or related field and/or related experience preferable.
• At least two years demonstrated effective math teaching experience required.
• Experience in curriculum development is a plus.
• Experience with Understanding by Design instructional planning a plus.
• Demonstrated experience with adolescents is required.
• Use of internet, e-mail, and other appropriate technology applications is essential.
• Understanding and experience with student-centered teaching, project-based learning, and performance-based assessment is preferable.
This is a faculty position with an academic year schedule. Teachers are expected to be on campus at least between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. daily and to attend other functions as designated, including regular Wednesday meetings until 5:00 p.m. Full-time faculty teachers are expected to travel to retreats, conferences and workshops as well as accompany students on various experiential activities throughout the year. There are some mandatory evening and weekend commitments.
Only applications submitted through the school’s employment website will be considered: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx
Complete details: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/Index.aspx