Post Date: 03/02/2018
Close Date: 05/30/2018
The Business Outreach Program (BOP) at Portland State University is hiring Administrative Assistant for ½ time to ¾ time.
The PSU Business Outreach Program (BOP) provides technical assistance and business consulting services to locally-owned, small businesses, with a focus on emerging, minority, and women-owned enterprises. The program was created to meet the needs of small businesses by assisting entrepreneurs in improving their profitability and survivability, while at the same time, allowing PSU students to engage in community-based learning with first-hand business consulting experience.
The purpose of the Administrative Assistant is to perform daily and/or weekly administrative tasks to support the Business Outreach Program by maintaining office organization, program communication and a positive office environment. In addition, the role will assist in program development, marketing, event planning, reporting compliance and additional support to BOP staff, as needed. We are looking for someone to join our team and grow with the organization. The role offers flexible scheduling options and opportunities to telecommute, in addition to working on-site at the BOP office.
EXPECTED JOB RESULTS OF JOB PERFORMANCE:
1. Provide a friendly, responsive, and genuinely helpful point of contact for those seeking information or assistance from the BOP via phone, email, internet, or social media.
2. Ensure that key data is collected, organized, and stored in such a way as to support the BOP, its board of directors, and its funders in making informed strategic decisions.
3. Ensure that the BOP Team has the information and resources they need to provide exceptional and efficient support and services to BOP clients, event guests, workshop participants, alumni, PSU, and the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Act as main point of contact for all business inquiries. Coordinate business communication channels, including email, phone, and voicemail.
• Perform administrative tasks including assistance to BOP staff with office organization, material purchases, copying, scanning, and recordkeeping.
• Maintain electronic and hard copy filing system.
• Assist BOP staff with client data management and reporting compliance required by funding contracts.
• Provide scheduling assistance for internal and external meetings, plus BOP workshops and events.
• Coordinate materials and guest speakers for program workshops, training and events.
• Track participation and communicate with registrants for program workshops, trainings and events.
• Develop notices and marketing material for program announcements.
• Develop surveys utilized for program reporting requirements.
• Document BOP policies and processes for internal organization.
• Prepare materials, agendas and meeting minutes for internal meetings.
• Provide administrative support to BOP Executive Director and Business Advisors.
• Contribute to team effort and success by accomplishing related tasks, as needed.
• Streamline processes, tasks, and organization of administrative responsibilities, as needed.
• Assist with program marketing and content creation including, website, e-newsletter, social media, etc.
• Assist with annual event coordination and planning.
• Assist with invoicing and budgetary recordkeeping.
• Assist with program development, and set-up and documentation of procedures.
• May include opportunities to work directly with clients, on a per-project basis, based on experience, skills and aptitude.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associates degree preferred and Bachelors degree a plus.
• Two plus years of hands on administrative support and/or customer service experience.
• Multilingual candidates preferred, but not required. Spoken and written English fluency required.
• Demonstrate enthusiasm for small business and/or entrepreneurship.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically strong Excel and Word skills required.
• Superior communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to demonstrate active listening skills.
• Effective time management and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Professional demeanor, focused, articulate and well organized.
• Highly motivated, self-starter.
• Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects, with superb excellence.
• Ability to work independently and perform relevant research.
• Ability to think critically and problem solve.
• Ability to follow-up with clients, partners and colleagues in a timely manner.
• Ability to consider alternative and diverse perspectives, interact effectively with people in a positive manner that engenders confidence and trust.
• Ability to lead and teach others.
• Ability to work in a fluid environment. Demonstrate adaptability and strategic realignment.
• Knowledge of small business and community resources in Portland, Oregon, preferred.
• Experience with bookkeeping software, databases, content management and survey tools, a plus.
• Experience with online marketing platforms, social media and creative content development, preferred.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a wage contract position with potential for extension. Position is paid hourly with no benefits. Hourly wage is $12.50-$16.50/hr. depending on experience. Weekly hours not expected to exceed an average of 20 hours per week for first 60-90 days. Increase of hours of up to an average of 30 hours per week, will be considered depending on experience, employee availability, and program needs. The contract is subject to renewal based on funding and job performance.
Position Location: This position is located in Portland, Oregon. Position will be performed at BOP office and through telecommuting.
Physical Requirements: Position requires physical lifting of 35lbs. or less, on a limited basis. Position requires sitting for extended periods of time.
As part of the PSU Business Outreach Program the employee will be expected to facilitate interactions with students, faculty, and programs that serve the mutual interests of the BOP and the University.
Portland State University is an Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
WORK SCHEDULE: The hours will vary on average between 20-30 hours per week. Employee must be able to work effectively in an office setting, plus options for telecommuting. Responsibilities must be met four to five days a week during business hours. Minimal evening work engagement required. Specific weekly hours scheduled is flexible.
Submit a brief personal statement addressing the required qualifications, a resume, and contact information for 3 professional references in electronic format via one comprehensive email with attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Use email subject: ADMIN ASSISTANT APPLICATION – (your last name)
Position open until filled.
Complete details: https://www.pdx.edu/business-outreach/administrative-assistant