Post Date: 02/28/2018
Close Date: 03/30/2018
OES is seeking a responsible, enthusiastic individual to support chess exploration for Kindergarten through grade five students in its Lower School Extension program. The extension chess Instructor maintains program quality and standards in accordance with department guidelines, OES policies, and Oregon Office of Child Care regulations. This position requires the ability to work successfully on teams. The successful candidate will have a passion for working with elementary school aged-students, demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, and possess a collaborative, inclusive spirit.
This is a part-time, hourly, academic year position that reports directly to the extension assistant director of Lower School. Schedule is one class per week 2:55-4:30pm, the day of the week is flexible.
• Teach the game of chess to Lower School students.
• Encourage students to improve their existing chess skills.
• Work with students in various settings - large group, small group and individually.
• Follow Extension daily roles and responsibilities as determined by term - as assigned.
• Provide careful, concentrated supervision of gathering and play areas to ensure students’ safety.
• Implement student support protocols (behavior and safety) that set and maintain appropriate standards for children’s behavior using non-punitive methods that promote development of problem solving skills and support self-esteem.
• Provide a caring environment with respect for students’ individual differences.
• Maintain and clean all shared supplies, equipment, and facilities.
• Attend orientation, staff meetings and training sessions as required.
• Experience working with elementary aged students in an educational setting
• Strong background in chess instruction
• Intercultural competence, ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students, to interact appropriately with students, families, and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen
• Strong background in current social emotional learning practices
• AA degree
• BA/BS degree
• Ability to handle light physical work in a classroom setting
• Mobility sufficient to move about the campus and assure the safety of young students
• Ability to communicate with students, parents, and coworkers
COMPENSATION: $25 to $50 per hour depending on experience
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties should complete the OES application here https://fs18.formsite.com/OES_Form/form101/index.html and attach a resume and cover letter. Open until filled.
Oregon Episcopal School does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristic or status.
Complete details: https://www.oes.edu/careers