Post Date: 11/15/2017
Close Date: 01/14/2018
Instructor, Criminal Justice
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09196
Location: Cascade Campus
Address: 705 N Killingsworth Street, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary: $52,020 to $55,728 (Step 3); based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. Full 2017/18 Faculty Salary Range is $52,020 to $90,205.
Job Close Date: Apply by December 8, 2017 for best consideration
Are you ready to impact the lives of students? Portland Community College is looking for a Criminal Justice (CJA) Instructor at the Cascade Campus. The CJA faculty position is a teaching position. The successful candidate will collaborate with the faculty department chair to maintain the integrity and continued improvement of the CJA curriculum within the Division of Allied Health, Emergency and Legal Services at the Cascade Campus.
This position will start Fall term 2018 and is eligible for Continuous Appointment upon third year review.
The core of all we do at PCC is equitable student success!
Job Mission and Key Department Message:
Our mission is implied in the values system that drives our program development and implementation.
We value the following:
- Constant improvement in course delivery and student learning.
- Innovation in teaching methodologies that support critical thinking and problem-solving
- Developing criminal justice professionals who can maintain community safety and security within the dictates of the law and Constitution, and do so through the lenses of social justice, equity and inclusion
- Autonomy with accountability
- The development of students and faculty in the affective domain
What is Great About Our Department at PCC:
- A collaborative work environment that is driven by our values
- A motivated cadre of part-time criminal justice faculty who represent numerous specialties in criminal justice
- Interdisciplinary initiatives among health professions, allied health and public safety/legal services across a college district (4 campuses and over a dozen centers) serving more than 85,000 students
- A vibrant metropolitan area with numerous recreational and cultural options
- An active advisory council consisting of professionals from law enforcement, the courts, probation, juvenile justice, corrections, social science educators, and Homeland Security
If this sounds like a community you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play for PCC, please review the minimum and preferred qualifications listed below, and apply today! Please be sure to tell us how you meet each of these qualifications so that we can get to know you and what you can bring to Portland Community College.
Here is our intended Recruitment Timeline:
- Best Application Consideration Date: December 8, 2017
- Initial Interviews: January
- Finalist (On-Campus) Interviews: February
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) If you are selected by the committee for further consideration you may be contacted by email and asked to submit written responses to a set of essay questions. You may have as little as one week to provide the required information.
3) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
4) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
PCC Faculty Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct students using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
MA, MS, JD or PhD in Criminal Justice, Administration of Justice or related field from an accredited college AND 3 years of full-time non-teaching work experience in a related field.
AS, BE, BS in Criminal Justice, Administration of Justice or related field from an accredited college AND 5 years of full-time non-teaching work experience in a related field.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
1. Knowledge, skills & ability to instruct multiple criminal justice related courses in a multicultural and diverse environment.
2. Significant experience in law enforcement, corrections, probation, parole and/or related areas involving criminal investigation and management of individuals in a custodial setting.
3. Teaching experience in the criminal justice field (Ex. academy instructor or higher education instructor).
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position please provide the following:
1) Completed online application
Be sure to indicate clearly how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications in the employment history to ensure this experience is taken into consideration.
2) Cover Letter (*Attach)
In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the qualifications for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications).
3) Current Resume/Vita (*Attach)
4) Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees) (*Attach)
Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Note to Applicants:
- If you are a current PERS/OPSRP retiree, please be aware that there may be limitations on your ability to work full-time for PCC, a PERS/OPSRP employer. http://www.oregon.gov/pers/RET/Pages/OPSRP-Work-After-Retirement.aspx
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2018 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1121004
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1121004