Post Date: 02/07/2020
Close Date: 02/28/2020
POSITION: Electrical Engineering Intern
SALARY: $14.52 - $25.06 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 02/28/20 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
Are you currently attending school and pursuing a career in the engineering? If you want to gain first-hand knowledge and assist the Engineering Department with electrical equipment related to Port construction projects then the Port's Electrical Internship might be right for you!
Port Interns learn on the job under close supervision, receive feedback from Port staff and complete work products that align with the students learning objectives and contribute to the Port's mission. This Port Intern position will work with a dynamic team of engineering professionals engaged with interesting and challenging projects.
To be considered for this intern position you must be a current student enrolled in a Portland-area school for the duration of employment (12 months). Spring 2020 graduates will not be eligible for this internship unless documentation of continued educational classes (graduate school related to the field) can be provided at the time of application.
Duration: 12 months; full-time during summer and school breaks, part-time during school year.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work under the direction of a Professional Engineer (P.E.) to obtain information regarding electrical equipment
• Research, gather and document the following types of information:
• Equipment data (manufacturer/models/ratings/options)
• Installation details (taking photos and creating documentation)
• Equipment history (when installed, last modified)
• Update panel board schedules, equipment one- lines and location drawings
• Gain familiarity with the construction process and the various types of construction documentation available for the construction and operation of systems
• Gain familiarity with the National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements regarding Arc Flash equipment labeling
• Gather arc flash labeling information, create databases, and work with the overseeing P.E to determine which information needs to be updated
• Currently pursuing a degree in electrical engineering at an ABET accredited university is required.
• Experience with AutoCAD is preferred.
• Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance for unescorted access to the Port's secure facilities is required
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive
• Skilled at time management and organization of priorities
• Ability to work in a team environment and follow direction
• Ability to obtain information in the field and handle multiple tasks with limited supervision.
• Ability to carry or handle moderately heavy (25-50 lbs) drawings and other documents
• Promote safety as a guiding principle and strive for safety improvements
• Work collaboratively with all staff at the Port
• Demonstrate professional work behaviors
Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers