Post Date: 06/21/2019
Close Date: 07/12/2019
JOB POSTING: COMMUNICATIONS AND PROGRAM COORDINATOR
START DATE: LATE AUGUST 2019
MISSION OF PORTLAND WORKFORCE ALLIANCE
The nonprofit Portland Workforce Alliance is a coalition of business, labor, high schools and postsecondary institutions. PWA works with local employers and educators to provide real-world learning experiences that teach students about career opportunities and help them see how today’s educational choices can open doors to great jobs. Our mission is to improve Oregon’s graduation rate; build a strong, diverse and well-educated workforce; and help regional employers develop their pipeline of talent. PWA’s board and volunteers see young people as the key to our region’s long-term economic prosperity and quality of life.
Our independent nonprofit is looking for a motivated individual to join our team and help further our mission through effective communication and program coordination as we work with partners to provide meaningful career-education experiences for high school students. The successful candidate is a versatile team player who can inform and inspire across multiple platforms, and who is proud to represent PWA in the community. The ideal candidate has experience furthering an organization’s mission through writing, photography and graphic design, and through using social media to reach partners and supporters. In addition to key communication responsibilities, this individual will assist with core program needs. Each staff member is seen as essential to PWA’s effort to serve a diverse community and build sustainable partnerships between high schools and employers.
Communications & Design
● Collaborate with PWA staff to maximize the effectiveness of our communication with educators, employers, donors and volunteers.
● Use skills in graphic design, writing, photography, photo editing and video to create marketing materials, flyers, evites, monthly e-newsletters, blog posts, photo galleries and other materials to successfully promote the work and partners of PWA and the ACE Mentor Program.
● Manage the social media presence of PWA and the ACE Mentor Program.
● Manage and update the website of PWA, including the calendar and blog.
Program and Fundraising
● Work with PWA team to coordinate, manage, document and track experiences (career days, mentorship programs, Careers Expo, etc.) that educate students about career opportunities and the skills required to be successful in the workplace.
● Assist with coordinating volunteers and supporting our board of directors.
● Assist with donor management, grant-writing and fundraising.
● Use Salesforce to help manage our contacts and support efficient communication.
2-5 years of communications experience
Exceptional interpersonal communication skills; positive and helpful demeanor
Outstanding attention to detail
Excellent writing, editing and photography skills
Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
Experience with event and program marketing via social media
Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines through superior organizational skills
Experience interacting with diverse groups of people
Commitment to provide excellent service to educators, employers and students
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
● Experience with WordPress; CRM software (such as Salesforce); MailChimp and Eventbrite; video creation, editing and storytelling; grant writing and fundraising.
HOURS, PAY AND BENEFITS
● Full time or part-time (32+ hours/week) depending on candidate preferences and job fit.
● Pay range $20 - $23/hour DOE
● Competitive benefits package includes employer-subsidized health insurance, short-term disability coverage, life insurance, paid holidays, sick time and earned vacation.
This position will primarily work in an office environment with moderate physical activity. At times it will be necessary to travel to other locations such as program events and employer sites in the Portland Metro area. Must have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and own transportation.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, Please attach or link to 2-5 examples of your work products that demonstrate effective communication, and describe your role in those products (can be writing, multimedia, graphic design, web design, etc). Please use the cover letter to specify why you are interested, what skills you would bring to the organization, how you have helped an organization grow or improve, and whether you prefer part time or full time.