Post Date: 05/07/2019
Close Date: 05/31/2019
Operations and Maintenance Assistant Technician (Temporary)
Closing Date: Open until filled
Anticipated Start Date: Mid May to Mid June
Salary Range: $16.50-22.50/hour (DOE)
Work Schedule: Full-Time
This position is a temporary hire for an estimated duration of 600 hrs.
To enhance community safety and support the region’s vitality, MCDD reduces flood risk by maintaining our levee system, managing drainage, and responding to emergencies. We help protect lives and property from flooding by operating and maintaining stormwater and flood management systems for over 12,000 acres of land along the Columbia Slough and the lower Columbia River. These systems include: 27 miles of levee, 12 pump stations, and 45 miles of ditches, sloughs, streams, and culverts.
MCDD has evolved substantially over the past decade to become a solutions-oriented leader with our partners in the region. A small, agile mission-driven team with a passion for customer service and supporting community values define the culture of the organization. MCDD is looking for a temporary general laborer to assist with on-the-ground management of levee and interior drainage systems.
This position will perform a variety of tasks including the operation of vehicles and heavy-duty equipment, including trucks and trailers, herbicide spray tanks, and hydro-seeders. The assistant will also perform servicing and minor repairs to tools and equipment, perform manual labor tasks with small equipment and hand tools, perform building maintenance and application of general use herbicides, and complete paperwork associated with different administrative tasks. Work is performed in partnership with the operations crew or independently. The position reports to the Crew Leader.
• Follow verbal and written instructions
• Follow all safety standards and guidelines
• Assist with routine maintenance in:
o Levee systems
o Pump station systems
o Drainage ways
o Facilities repairs
• Perform essential core tasks for system reliability
o Weekly pump station inspections
o Drainage way clearing and debris removal
o Pump station and culvert grates clearing
o Levee mowing and other vegetation removal
o Weed eating pump stations and levee areas
o Herbicide application
Duties Applying to All Employees
It is the duty of all employees to:
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Strive to achieve the Mission, Vision, and Values of the organization.
• Perform the duties assigned during an emergency.
• Complete required Incident Command System training within 90 days of hire.
• Ensure and encourage a safe workplace environment.
• Valid class “C” state driver’s license
• Work outdoors for extended periods under unfavorable conditions
• Work on steep and uneven ground
• Must show up to work regularly and on time
• Ability to lift up to 100 pounds and maneuver 50 pounds
• Ability to operate basic power tools
• Construction site safety awareness
• Ability to operate work boat with outboard motor
• Requires 0-5 years related experience
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two professional references to hiring@MCDD.org with the subject Seasonal Laborer. Position open until filled.
Accommodation: Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans’ preference when applying for MCDD positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans’ preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Equal employment opportunity: All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made or any other status protected by law. Assistance will be gladly provided upon request for any applicant with sensory or non-sensory disabilities.
This position is not represented.