Post Date: 04/02/2019
Close Date: 04/26/2019
SALARY: $103,913.00 - $166,263.00, Annually
OPENING DATE: 04/05/19 | CLOSING DATE: 04/26/19 05:00 PM
The successful individual in the role of Risk Director for the Port of Portland will be responsible for setting the strategy, goals, and objectives related to Risk management at the Port. Specific functions within the risk program include risk analysis/insurance, loss prevention, and claims management. The director oversees a highly engaged staff who lead the development and implementation of associated corporate programs across the Port. This person will also work cooperatively with Port-wide resources to garner support for programs which are consistent with regulatory requirements and protect the assets, i.e. people, property, and/or finances of the Port.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and maintain the Port's risk management program, design and strategy.
• Provide leadership, communication, innovation, management and the governance necessary to identify, evaluate, mitigate, and monitor the Port's hazardous, operational and strategic risks.
• Ensure the organization's risk management policies and strategies are in compliance with applicable regulations and the Port's strategic initiatives.
• Develop risk management analytical tools, practices, and policies to measure, manage, track and report risks to key internal and external stakeholders.
• Mentor, guide, coach and professionally develop the department team.
• Maintain and monitor department budget.
• Direct the Port's Risk Analysis Program to identify, mitigate and finance business and operational risks through contractual risk management, purchase of insurance and/or development of self-insurance programs.
• Direct the Port's Claims Management Program to ensure the proper and efficient handling of property and casualty claims and self-insured workers' compensation claims.
• Lead the Port's Business Continuity Management Program to mitigate loss of and interruptions of the Port's critical business functions.
• Serve on local, state and national risk management related organizations to promote the Port's interest in risk management training, education, data collection, and sharing and networking in the various risks management programs.
• Serve as Assistant Treasurer and approve payments on behalf of the Port of Portland on executed leases, purchase orders and other contracts as authorized and appointed by Port policies and procedures.
• Bachelor's Degree in business, risk management, public administration or related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
• 10 years' experience in risk analysis, loss control, and/or claims management (required)
• 5 years management experience (required) with responsibility for multiple functions in the field of risk management.
• Advanced knowledge of risk management principles, techniques and their application in a multi-faceted organization.
• Knowledge regarding legal and compliance components of risk management and financial concepts including budgets, financial statements.
• Familiar with human resource concepts including labor agreements, employment practices, compensation and benefits
• Exposure with information technology concepts including data management systems, crisis management and business recovery.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to explain complex technical data with the ability to influence decisions.
• Associate in Risk Management (ARM) or Certified Risk Manager (CRM) required
• Ability to obtain a valid Oregon/Washington Driver's License.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and a passion for being inclusive.
• Is a proven team leader and shows the utmost respect for others.
• Skilled in the risk management process and administration with the knowledge of basic legal theory in contract provisions and claims management.
• Ability to understand and exercise fiduciary responsibilities with a high emotional intelligence and ability to build trust while maintaining confidentiality.
• Ability to link risk initiatives into critical business drivers; perform risk identification, measurement, and analysis; create valid risk forecasts; determine the cost of risk and advise on options to manage risk.
• Skilled in the legal and compliance components of risk management and financial concepts
• Ability to prioritize a high and diverse volume of work and make decisions and take actions in a timely manner.
Complete details: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers