Post Date: 08/20/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
General Description of Duties: To work in partnership with team members, school staff, community volunteers, youth and parents to coordinate and implement an after school enrichment program aimed to achieve Hillsboro Parks and Recreation’s mission and outcomes.
Work Schedule: Nine (9)-month position, mid-September – the end of May on regularly scheduled school days.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 1:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday 1:00 - 5:30 p.m. (approx. 20-22 hours/week)
Examples of Work:
• Part-time staff person to work with other team members to plan and implement an after school program.
• Facilitate youth participation in enrichment activities.
• Recruit and retain program participants and volunteers.
• Plan and implement project components (homework, life skills, recreation/sports, arts and crafts).
• Plan and participate in field trips.
• Participate in daily planning and debrief meetings with team.
• Work with team to discipline and manage the behavior of students.
• Work with team on attendance tracking (unexcused absences, early releases etc.).
• Develop and maintain relationship with school principal, teachers, and school counselors.
• Establish and maintain partnering relationships with youth, parents, and school staff.
• Recommend program adjustments as appropriate.
• Engage and support involvement of parents and community members in program delivery and/or participation.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge and skills required to implement a work plan.
• Ability to work in and facilitate a team environment.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to maintain focus and energy throughout the program year.
• Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries with youth.
• Ability to consult and involve youth in a variety of participatory roles.
• Bilingualism in English and Spanish.
• High level of energy and enthusiasm.
• Knowledge of current youth development theories/approaches and child/adolescent development.
• Knowledge of basic principles regarding group work and facilitation, conflict resolution, and behavior management.
• Training and public speaking skills.
• Willingness to be flexible regarding time and availability.
• A team player and committed professional.
• Dedicated to the success of BLAST’s program model.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
• A minimum of one year experience working with youth 6-12 years of age.
• Background that indicates a working knowledge of youth development and programming.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a cover letter, resume, and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
City of Hillsboro
150 E Main Street, Second Floor
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123