Post Date: 01/08/2020
Close Date: 02/08/2020
Receptionist – Rockwood & Powell
Job Title: Receptionist (Bilingual Spanish/English)
Reports to: Office Coordinators
Hours: 40 Hours per week, (M-F 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
Starting Pay: $15.00-$15.90/hour, plus bilingual pay premium and generous benefits package
Job Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Rockwood Office and Powell Office
Want to help make a difference? Human Solutions counters the forces that keep people and communities in poverty by building relationships and assets that create opportunity - today and for future generations.
We partner with people and communities impacted by poverty so they can achieve long-term housing and economic security. We invest in affordable housing and community assets that contribute to strong, inclusive neighborhoods. We advocate with our community for policies and investments that expand housing and economic opportunity, eliminate wealth inequality and end poverty.
East Portland/East Multnomah County, Oregon is our home and the heart of our investments, advocacy and programs.
Human Solutions envisions vibrant, healthy neighborhoods where all people can share in the security, hopes and advantages of a thriving, supportive community.
Human Solutions operates as a nimble, financially strong organization driven by our passion, strategic goals and guiding principles.
Diversity, inclusion and equity are fundamental values for Human Solutions, both internally and externally. HSI has an Anti-Oppression Diversity Committee, which serves as a sounding board for new internal policies and procedures to make sure that we’re taking into account diversity and inclusion. It also helps with diversity-related projects, such as coordinating staff diversity trainings and providing ongoing input into our equity work.
Human Solutions is working to end homelessness and poverty in our community because everyone deserves a safe place to call home.
What Human Solutions Can Offer You: We offer a comprehensive array of benefits in support of your physical, emotional and financial well-being. A few highlights:
• Employer paid premiums for employee health insurance.
• Generous paid time off, 11 paid holidays, a floating birthday holiday and the ability to maintain a great work/life balance.
• Employer paid premiums for short-term and long-term disability insurance and life insurance.
• Access to an employee assistance program.
• Flexible spending accounts for health and for dependent care.
• Professional development opportunities, including employee driven committees and monthly optional staff workshops.
• Access to wellness initiatives and resources including things such as walking groups, yoga classes at two office locations and workshops on stress management, self-care and healthy living.
• Opportunity to contribute to a 401k retirement plan with a 2% employer match after three months of employment.
• A six-week paid sabbatical after every seven years of consecutive employment with HSI.
The person in this position will be responsible for greeting clients, answering phone calls (using a multi-line phone). Provide general office support to Human Solutions staff and direct building visitors to five other partner agencies as appropriate. Manage reception area at the Rockwood Building and Powell Office, filing, and route phone calls. Provide Spanish to English interpretation as required. Perform face-to-face and telephone eligibility screenings with people seeking assistance. Typical requests include rent assistance, shelter, housing and energy assistance. Explain agency services, service eligibility, services available or lack of services. Provide a neat, tidy and welcoming space for all individuals and families entering Human Solutions. Provide people with emergency services when appropriate and available and with referrals to other agencies and services when Human Solutions does not have the ability to meet their needs. Keep accurate records of all services and referrals. This position is the first point of contact for people with Human Solutions. Able to work in a stressful environment due to call and walk-in volume is high. Thus, excellent attendance and punctuality are critical as is a positive attitude.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensure a friendly and welcoming atmosphere in reception area which can be extremely busy
• Communicate clearly in English and Spanish with members of the general public seeking services
• Manage a busy multi-line phone system
• Assist the Office Coordinator with building responsibilities and projects.
• Interact respectfully with an extremely diverse service population, including many people with limited or no English or Spanish skills and people of all races and ages
• Work in partnership with callers and people walking in requesting services to identify needs and effective solutions and maintain confidentiality
• Use a computer for word processing and data entry and be willing to learn other computer skills that are necessary for or enhance performance of job duties
• Understand and follow complex written and oral instructions, rules and eligibility criteria
• Accurately provide information regarding Human Solutions and other agency services
• Work independently and be a vital and contributing part of a team
• Develop and maintain productive working relationships within Human Solutions, with public and private agencies and with people calling or walking in seeking services
• Prepare clear, accurate, complete and timely records and reports
• Assist supervisor as assigned with filing, correspondence and other general office duties
Training is provided for operating office equipment (multi-line telephone, copier) and on available agency and community resources, data collection methodology, and agency databases, and Human Solutions specific process and procedures. Other duties may be assigned by the supervisor.
Successful performance of this job requires the ability to satisfactorily complete each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Social and economic issues creating poverty, working successfully with practices and techniques related to people with low income to achieve greater self- sufficiency.
Community resources and agencies providing social services needed by homeless families.
Trauma Informed Care as it pertains to service delivery and supervision.
Interact with a large volume of callers and impart accurate information on diverse and changing resources and to interact with other staff, volunteers, visitors and clients in a proficient manner.
Enunciate clearly by phone and in person and give clear instructions
Self manage and engage in productive work related activities during periods of low calls and low activity.
Ability to interact with other staff, volunteers, clients, vendors, and the general public in a professional manner.
Ability to treat a very diverse client base, some of whom English is not their first language, with respect.
Be reliable and punctual.
Pay close attention to detail.
Use a computer, including experience with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft Word.
Foster a warm and welcoming environment even at times when conditions are crowded and not everyone may get served.
Experience providing good customer service
Experience working in a diverse environment and with people who may sometimes be upset.
Bilingual English/Spanish is required. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in both English and Spanish.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The reception office is a busy environment, with people of all ages and cultures needing assistance.
Send cover letter, resume addressing required skills and experience and three professional references to Ana Madiedo at firstname.lastname@example.org.