Post Date: 02/14/2020
Close Date: 03/02/2020
$34.73 - $44.37/hour
***Apply online at: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs***
The City of Gresham has an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to fill a new temporary position as a Fire Plans Examiner. This role will involve fire plan review of new construction permits and new construction inspections for the City of Gresham. Serving in this position will also include participation in pre-construction meetings along with other related duties to ensure compliance with the Oregon Fire Code and other associated codes and regulations. The Fire Plans Examiner will report to the Gresham Fire Marshal.
This position is anticipated to run through 6/30/2020, but may be extended based upon budgetary availability and operational needs.
As Oregon's fourth-largest city, Gresham is a welcoming community of hard-working people where tradition and heritage meet innovation and opportunity. Gresham is a dynamic and rapidly growing city where families and businesses have a mutual desire and drive to thrive. City of Gresham employees care deeply about the community they serve, and go 'one step beyond' to deliver services in collaborative, inventive, practical, and nimble ways. Our work is challenging, fast-paced and rewarding.
We believe that to deliver the highest level of service to all Gresham community members, it is crucial we employ a diverse workforce, foster an inclusive working environment, and ensure our policies and systems result in equitable outcomes. The City seeks candidates who will support these values by continuously incorporating equity in their daily work, and actively contributing to a workplace culture that respects unique viewpoints, life experiences, and cultural perspectives.
Come build the future with us.
What you will get to do:
• Review applications for compliance with the adopted Oregon Fire Code, Oregon Building Codes, and associated codes or regulations
• Review plans for development, construction, operational, and event permits
• Examine fire and life safety systems, fire sprinklers, fire alarms, underground fire supplies, and other fire protection systems for code compliance
• Perform problem solving relative to applicable fire codes, related building codes and local regulations within permit/application environment
• Attend pre-development and pre-construction meetings as a representative of the fire department
• Review water availability as required in the permit process
• Conduct field inspections of fire protection systems as assigned
• Provide technical assistance for compliance with the Oregon Fire Code and associated regulations in cross-over areas of responsibility
• Interact with other technical support staff members in a team approach to predevelopment requests, problem solving and project review
• Work with architects, engineers, contractors, and the general public in applying fire code regulation to projects relative to the permit process.
• Maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance during regularly scheduled work hours at assigned worksite.
What we are looking for:
• Someone who is collaborative to work with a variety of key stakeholders
• An effective communicator who effectively articulates, understands and exchanges information
• Is team oriented and works well within the organization, other agencies, and those in the community
• Demonstrates they are service oriented to proactively identify and/or anticipate needs
• Works to build relationship
• Someone who is practical to get the job done
• Applies the needed knowledge, skills, and experience to perform effectively
• Exercises sound judgment and decision making
• Models and reinforces ethical standards through their personal integrity
• Someone who is flexible and can adapt to circumstances or organizational need
The Fire Plans Examiner will work in an office environment on a daily basis. There will be some local travel to various work sites and meeting locations as required. Most work will be completed on a regular schedule, however, attendance at meetings or completion of work outside of normal scheduled hours may be necessary. This position will involve extended periods of concentration and sedentary work at a workstation. Work is subject to frequent interruptions and may encounter confrontational community members and/or public groups.
Qualified candidates must possess knowledge of:
• Fire department operations and structure,
• Municipal permit and plan review processes,
• Oregon Fire and Building Codes
• NFPA Documents.
• Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent programs)
• Informational file retrieval processes
Qualified candidates must have an ability to:
• Read and interpret computer based and paper construction plans and identify areas of non-compliance with fire and life safety codes
• Identify deficiencies in plans and provide appropriate revisions
• Maintain accurate records and prepare reports
• Adhere to timelines associated with individual jurisdictional contracts
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders
Any combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job and amount to 5 or more years equivalency:
• High School Diploma or G.E.D. AND 5 years of related experience such as Plans Reviewer, Fire Protection Engineer, Fire Plans Examiner, Architect.
• Associate's Degree (preferably in Fire Science) AND 3 years of related experience such as Plans Reviewer, Fire Protection Engineer, Fire Plans Examiner, Architect.
• Bachelor's Degree (preferably in Fire Science) AND 1 year of related experience such as Plans Reviewer, Fire Protection Engineer, Fire Plans Examiner, Architect.
• Valid Driver's License
• Fire and Life Safety Plans Examiner
• Plans Examiner A-Level
• OIC (Oregon Inspector Certification) -or- ability to obtain within 30 days of hire
• ICC/NFPA Fire Inspector II
Complete details: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs