Post Date: 12/20/2018
Close Date: 02/28/2019
Application Instructions: This posting is open until filled. Applications are received and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Pay Details: Minimum starting pay is $14.90/hr.
Who We Are:
Oregon Food Bank (OFB) works to eliminate hunger and its root causes... because no one should be hungry. OFB believes that hunger starves the human spirit, that communities thrive when people are nourished, and that everyone deserves healthy and fresh food. OFB helps feed the human spirit of 740,000 people through a food distribution network of 21 regional food banks serving Oregon and Clark County, Washington. OFB also leads statewide efforts to increase resources for hungry families and to eliminate the root causes of hunger through public policy, local food systems work, nutrition and garden education, health care screening and innovative programming.
Oregon Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our organization. Over and above our commitment to non-discrimination, OFB actively seeks to employ members of the community who have experienced poverty or food insecurity and members of historically marginalized groups including racial and ethnic minorities. Please visit our website to read more about our commitment to equity.
Who we are looking for:
Oregon Food Bank is seeking an energetic, highly motivated Front Desk Associate to fill our receptionist opening. As a part of the Administrative team, this position will require you have strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to remain focused in a high traffic environment. The Front Desk Associate must be self-directed yet flexible and have the ability to address setbacks, troubleshoot issues, and seamlessly direct multiple priorities at the same time.
Who you are:
You care deeply about people experiencing hunger and hold them in the center of all that you do. You believe that no one should be hungry and that together we can solve hunger. You provide a friendly, welcoming first impression to the clients, volunteers, donors, visitors and all Oregon Food Bank stakeholders. You have exceptional customer service skills, enjoys working with people from all walks of life, and are fluent in English and Spanish. You have an impeccable eye for detail and are able to direct and manage multiple priorities at the same time. You are dedicated, trustworthy, and able to listen, learn, collaborate and celebrate with your colleagues and our partners. You are known for your team-oriented spirit as well as your positive attitude in a fast-paced environment.
• Provide exceptional customer service to all of our guests in a helpful, supportive and friendly manner.
• Answer and direct calls quickly and professionally.
• Maintain and update brochures and handouts as required, including written translation to Spanish.
• Accept and provide receipts for money and donations as needed.
• Assist in processing incoming mail daily.
• Assist with community room reservations and tracking of rental contracts.
• Maintain and update front desk procedure manuals and update lists including staff lists, phone lists, and others as needed.
• Supervise and train front desk office volunteers.
• Provide general administrative and back-up support including filing, collating, transcription of minutes and electronic forms maintenance.
• Perform internet research tasks, as requested.
• Support additional administrative tasks, as needed.
Skills and Experience of the Ideal Candidate:
• Minimum three years of demonstrated success as a Receptionist or Administrative Assistant.
• Bilingual writing, speaking and translation skills in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
• Exceptional oral, written communication, and typing skills with a detailed eye for grammar, punctuation and spelling.
• Working knowledge of effective reception and customer service practices and experience in operating multi-line digital switchboard; preferably Microsoft Lync Attendant.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Office Suite, email and internet applications, and basic office equipment.
• Basic knowledge of filing and record-keeping systems.
• Ability to solve problems, manage multiple priorities, and move complex projects forward while paying attention to details and deliverables. Must be able to handle interruptions and maintain focus on tasks while producing accurate and high quality work.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Experience working (or volunteering) for a food bank, non-profit and/or personal lived experience of inequity/oppression is preferred.
• Experience in modeling cultural proficiency and demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and social justice work is preferred.
Fine Print: Work is performed in an office environment while sitting at a computer screen for extended periods. Occasionally walks throughout warehouse and office facilities to communicate with staff and check on the status of projects, as required. May lift, move and carry objects up to 40 pounds, such as boxes containing office and other supplies, and walk up & down stairs. Other physical activities could include crouching, bending, kneeling and reaching when filing. May deal with distraught individuals both over the phone and in person.