Post Date: 10/28/2019
Close Date: 11/18/2019
Portland State University (PSU) is a thriving campus of 27,000 students in downtown Portland, easily accessible by bike and public transit and surrounded by many restaurants, food carts, parks, and local businesses. PSU is committed to offering opportunity to students from a variety of backgrounds, and prides itself on providing access for low-income and nontraditional students. Our motto to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to finding innovative, sustainable solutions to local and global problems. Our location in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities gives our students unmatched access to career connections and an internationally acclaimed culture scene.
PSU’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) empowers students, faculty, and staff through technology, and has been ranked on the Computerworld Best Places to Work in IT in the nation for three years running. Our number one value is our employees: we support a culture of inclusion, actively encourage a healthy work-life balance, and strive to support our employees professionally and personally. PSU offers an impressive tuition discount and we encourage our staff to take advantage of this, be it for pursuing a degree or personal interest. We are a department of dynamic, engaged, collaborative, and communicative people, and seek to attract more of the same. Read more about why we’re a great place to work at https://www.pdx.edu/oit/employment
This position exists within the Technology Infrastructure (TI) department of OIT. TI is responsible for the network and computing infrastructure used by faculty, staff, and students campus-wide. This includes PSU’s cloud Infrastructure as a Service environment, enterprise data center, storage, networks, server/client operating systems, databases, middleware and digital workplace applications.
In this position you will collaborate daily with a positive and energetic staff of four employees. You will have an opportunity to understand how OIT operates behind the scenes on the infrastructure side of the house. You may lead a project or two at any given time, have regular meetings with key stakeholders for those projects, and maybe even come up with a project that we can implement. You will also have an opportunity to work closely with your manager to develop long range plans, new policies, improve process, and help strategize on implementing the next big thing for us.You will provide leadership and management for our Infrastructure & Cloud Applications Team. Your duties will include:
-Mentoring and supervising a team of 4 staff members;
-Acting as a technical lead for infrastructure and digital workplace applications, including email, calendar, drive, voice, card access, etc;
-Operational and project planning for the team;
-Coordinating billing for data center hosting services with our central finance unit.
Skills and Requirements
- Five or more years of experience in the Information Technology field.
- Ability to lead a group of technical staff, cultivating a collaborative, team-driven environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Project management skills and good personal time-management habits.
- Experience in a fast-paced production environment.
- Willing and able to provide off-hours support.
- Ability to work with sensitive/confidential information and to handle such information as required by Federal and State regulations, and OIT policies.
A successful candidate will have experience and/or knowledge in some of the following areas:
- A bachelor’s degree
-Administration and/or oversight of infrastructure and cloud applications
-Applications such as G Suite (including Google Voice), Lenel OnGuard, Qualtrics, LastPass, PCR-360
-Intellectual curiosity and a drive for excellence
-Customer service operations
-Hiring, coaching, and performance management
-Using a ticketing system, such as Jira Service Desk
-Project management tools, such as JIRA, Basecamp, Trello, etc.
-Working with multiple departments/stakeholders outside of the core team
-Monitoring systems, such as Nagios or Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
-Working understanding of TCP/IP
-Core network services, such as LDAP, DNS, NTP, etc.
We ask our employees and applicants (that’s you!) to align with our OIT Attributes for Success
- Coaching: you appropriately give, accept, and incorporate feedback from others.
- Communication: you exchange information and ideas well, verbally and in writing; communication is an essential tool for productivity and strong working relationships in OIT.
- Emotional Intelligence: you possess the capacity to be aware of, manage, and express your emotions; you handle interpersonal relationships with empathy and safety, enabling diverse types of people to work together.
- Proactive: you recognize and initiate opportunities to take action and prevent potential problems or threats.
- Teamwork: you identify with the larger organizational team and your role within it; you share resources, respond to requests, and support our organizational strategy.
Key Cultural Competencies
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- Adheres to all PSU policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $80,000 and $100,000/year with an excellent benefits package including 95% employer paid premiums (employees and eligible dependents) and significantly reduced tuition rates for employee and eligible dependents at any of the Oregon Public Universities. After completing six full months employees are eligible to choose between our two employer paid pension programs in addition to two voluntary retirement programs. Wellness options include access to the PSU rec center at a reduced rate and free wellness programs. For a comprehensive view of all PSU benefits, visit the PSU Total Compensation Calculator page (https://www.pdx.edu/hr/psu-total-compensation-calculator).
If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position or once you receive a position with Portland State University, please call 503-725-4926 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete details: https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/31350