Post Date: 08/23/2019
Close Date: 09/15/2019
Safety Compliance Office (Occupational Safety Specialist 2)
This recruitment will be used to fill ten positions in our Tigard field office and one position in our Bend field office. All positions will report to the Tigard office for the first six months for training, Monday through Friday.
One of the positions in Tigard is a limited duration opportunity that is scheduled to end on June 30, 2021.
To protect and serve Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon's consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers' compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
These positions are with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA). Oregon OSHA is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for Oregon workers through promulgation and enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, and by providing education and consultation to employees and employers.
These positions are represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
• Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
• Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
• Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
Here’s what you will do:
As a Safety Compliance Officer, you will:
• Conduct safety evaluations and investigations
• Take enforcement action in a broad range of workplaces to ensure employer compliance with the Oregon Safe Employment Act
• Conduct technical training
• Provide abatement assistance for employers and employees
Here’s what you need to qualify:
The goal of this recruitment is to fill this position at the Occupational Safety Specialist 2 level. However, we encourage candidates who meet the Occupational Safety Specialist 1 qualifications to apply as we may consider underfilling the position for up to 36 months. Underfill candidates will be paid at the Occupational Safety Specialist 1 level salary range of $3,334 - $4,853 monthly and must meet the qualifications for the Occupational Safety Specialist 2 within 36 months of hire.
Occupational Safety Specialist 2 Minimum Qualifications:
• One year of experience performing duties of an industrial safety professional or safety officer;
• A Bachelor's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health;
• An Associate's degree in industrial safety or occupational safety and health and two years of industrial safety or regulatory enforcement program experience;
• Four years of industrial safety or regulatory enforcement program experience.
Occupational Safety Specialist 1 Underfill Minimum Qualifications:
• One year of industrial safety program experience. The experience must include either devising or administering safe work practices using the Occupational and Safety Health rules as a basis, such as membership on a safety committee or the responsibility for administering industrial safety rules.
• Strong technical occupational safety program knowledge
• Outstanding professional communication skills, including verbal and written skills
• Strong problem solving skills, including the ability to assist other staff with solving problems
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups
• Demonstrated skill applying specific well defined rules and procedures to work performance
• Demonstrated team player skills, including the willingness to collaborate, share information, and contribute to the team's success
• Experience making decisions independently
• Preference may be given to applicants who have conducted Agricultural Labor Housing (ALH) and/or Agricultural Field Sanitation inspections for the Oregon Occupational Safety & Health Division
• Preference may be given to candidates who have experience in the construction industry or logging experience in the timber industry
• Preference may be given to candidates who are able to fluently read, write, and speak Spanish
You must clearly demonstrate in your application and application materials that you meet the qualifications listed. Failure to provide this information may result in not being considered further.
How To Apply:
• To apply for this position, go to https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Durham---DCBS/Safety-Compliance-Officer--Occupational-Safety-Specialist-2-_REQ-19552-1 and click on the "Apply" button to fill out the online application and complete the questionnaire.
• A resume and cover letter are required for this job posting. Please attach both documents in the “Resume / CV” section in the application. Please also attach a list of three or more professional references.
• Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
• Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
• Make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes.
• Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
• Please save copy of this job announcement for your reference, as it may not be available for you to view after the job closes.
• As part of the application selection process, you may be asked to complete a skills assessment or submit a writing sample.
• The successful candidate must have a valid driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. Prior to an offer of employment, DCBS may request that you provide an official driving record.
• Employment will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
• Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. NOTE: If claiming veterans preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
• The Department of Consumer and Business Services does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Helpful Links And Contact Information:
Learn more about DCBS
Understanding the State Application Process
Help & Support webpage
Learn more about Oregon
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity.