Post Date: 02/13/2020
Close Date: 02/19/2020
This Job Posting closes at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Time) on Wednesday, February 19, 2020.
Annual Pay Range: $43,657.19 - $55,143.59
Hourly Page Range: $20.989034 - $26.511342
Starting salaries will be within the posted pay range based on job-related factors such as experience, training and/or education.
In addition to competitive wages, Clackamas County offers an attractive benefits package for employees in regular status positions.
This is a full time County position represented by the Employees' Association.
The Clackamas County Health, Housing and Human Services Department - Health Centers Division is looking for a detail-oriented Health Records Specialist 1 to perform complex support duties associated with the organization and maintenance of a health records system. This position will ensure the availability of records and the filing of all client information; ensure that information is protected and released in accordance with applicable laws, rules and regulations governing confidentiality of health records.
Clackamas County Health Centers is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) designated by the Health Resources and Services Association (HRSA). This position supports requirements to maintain patient records and releasing records within statutory guidelines.
Required Minimum Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Knowledge of medical terminology, including terms used in basic anatomy and physiology
• Working knowledge of general medical record documentation
• Experience entering and retrieving data from various databases
• Experience prioritizing assignments as well as successfully completing projects that may have competing priorities, timelines and due dates
• Experience working in a fast paced, busy environment, often while being interrupted or distracted
• Experience providing factual information while being sensitive to the customers' needs
• Experience working well both independently and in a team environment
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Must successfully pass a criminal history check which may include national or state fingerprint records check
Preferred Special Qualifications/ Transferrable Skills:*
• Experience working with medical records
• Working knowledge of HIPAA laws in a medical environment
• Experience working with an electronic health records system, such as EPIC
• Experience with electronic document management systems, such as OnBase, including scanning, importing/exporting and indexing
• Experience with advanced Adobe Acrobat features, including inserting, extracting and deleting pages, and watermarking
*For Veterans qualified for Veteran’s Preference: If you believe you have skills that would transfer well to this position and/or special qualifications that relate to this position, please list those skills and/or qualifications in the open-ended question at the end of the application and explain how those skills and/or qualifications relate to this position.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Processes internal requests for health records; prepares health records for delivery to medical providers and clinicians; searches for missing records; maintains chart tracking system and forwards health records to appropriate location.
2. Organizes and maintains health record filing system that ensures appropriate retrieval and delivery; maintains health record tracking system; resolves concerns regarding efficiency and accuracy of delivery system; audits, repairs and purges health records within established guidelines.
3. Processes and files loose documents; reviews health records for filing accuracy; prints dictation and follows up with clinicians to obtain missing dictation, complete information and/or required signatures.
4. Performs data entry of health information into supporting databases according to time lines; abstracts data from health records for various reporting requirements.
5. Processes external requests for health information; reviews health information requests for validity, completeness and compliance with State and federal law and confidentiality guidelines; determines appropriate health records/documents to release based on applicable laws, rules, regulations and County policy; consults with unit supervisor on complex information requests; determines charges for health record copies; maintains spreadsheet of records released; mails and/or faxes records, letters or forms at the request of CCCH providers and documents appropriately in the record; requests records from outside providers; confers with clinicians, administrative staff, support staff, supervisors, clients, public agencies, attorneys and outside health care providers regarding requests for health information; answers questions about confidentiality, documentation standards and release of health information.
6. Assists in educating and training new or existing staff on health records tasks; assists in educating clinicians and other staff in health records issues; resolves technical or procedural problems and issues with records retrieval.
7. Assists in developing and implementing procedures to improve quality, content and security of health records within the unit; assists in maintaining health records procedure and policy manuals; makes recommendations for procedural changes as needed.
8. Analyzes health records for completeness; follows up to obtain missing reports, complete information and/or required signatures; notifies clinicians or support personnel of deficiencies.
Working Knowledge of: Principles and practices of health records management including documentation practices, auditing techniques and filing systems; medical terminology including basic anatomy and physiology; pertinent Federal, State and local laws, rules and regulations applicable to health record confidentiality, release of information and security; concepts and techniques for prioritizing and organizing work; office practices and procedures; basic English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Skill to: Independently, accurately and effectively perform assigned tasks and duties following established procedures and policies with adherence to time lines; correctly interpret and apply laws, rules, and regulations governing health records, confidentiality and security; organize and maintain an accurate health records filing system using alpha and numeric (terminal digit) filing; perform detailed record maintenance, retrieval and filing; compute charges due according to billing schedule; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; operate office equipment including personal computers, photocopiers, printers and fax machines; use relevant software programs including specialized databases; maintain effective working relationships with County staff, health professionals, clients, patients, attorneys and public agencies.
This position is included in the County’s alternate workweek program, working 40 hours during a standard workweek of Monday through Thursday (Fridays off). Specific hours of work will be discussed with the candidate selected for this position at the time an offer of employment is extended.
Clackamas County does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, applicants will be required to complete an I-9 and confirm authorization to work in the United States.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Clackamas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the Department of Human Resources prior to the recruitment close date. You may request an accommodation during the online application process.
Complete details: https://hrapp.clackamas.us/psc/recruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&JobOpeningId=105379&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1&languageCd=ENG&FOCUS=Applicant