Post Date: 05/20/2019
Close Date: 06/28/2019
Clark College is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent classified Grounds and Nursery Services Specialist 3. This is a 12-month position performing skilled gardening work in the maintenance of ground and landscapes. All faculty and staff hired at Clark College are encouraged to embrace, continually support and enhance social equity on our campus and in our community. The schedule for this position is Monday to Friday 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Clark College is an equal opportunity employer. Protected group members are strongly encouraged to apply. Clark College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age perceived or actual physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal. The college considers equal opportunity, affirmative action, and non-discrimination to be fundamental to the mission, Core themes, and objectives of the college. Questions regarding the College’s Affirmative Action Policy may be directed to Human Resources, (360) 992-2105.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain planting beds to include weeding, edging, pruning, etc.
• Maintain lawns to include mowing, fertilizing, aerating, thatching, etc.
• Install, repair and operate irrigation systems.
• Remove leaves and other debris from the college grounds.
• Keep parking lots and walkways safe, clean and free of trash and debris.
• Apply pesticides and herbicides to plants.
• Operate power and motorized equipment such as weed trimmers, chain saws, backpack blowers, rototillers, light tractors, front-end loaders, small trucks, lawn mowers, sweepers, aerators, sod cutters, and snow blowers.
• Create new planting beds and plant trees and plants.
• Service and maintain tools and equipment.
• Assist with snow and ice removal.
• Perform related duties as required.
Position Requirements and Competencies:
Candidates will be evaluated based on application materials, including the supplemental questions and personal interview(s), and will be required to demonstrate competencies in the following areas:
• Education: high school diploma or equivalent.
• Experience: two years’ experience or training involving grounds maintenance, gardening, plant care, cultivation, landscape installation, and knowledge of plant material.
• Tools and Equipment Experience: ability to drive and operate grounds equipment and tools listed above.
• Communication Skills: effectively communicate with diverse individuals and groups.
• Team Work: ability to work within a team and communicate properly to prevent duplication of effort.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Job Readiness/Working Conditions:
• Ability to obtain a Washington Pesticide Applicator’s License.
• Ability and willingness to perform physically demanding grounds maintenance work that may include lifting equipment and objects weighing up to 50 pounds, walking, bending, stooping, crawling and standing for long periods of time.
• Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather.
• Ability and willingness to maintain a positive and professional working relationship with co-workers.
• Ability to work well with people of all ages from academically, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds.
• The initial appointment will include a 6-month probationary period and the employee will earn permanent status after successfully completing probation.
• This position is represented by Washington Public Employees Association.
• Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Starting Salary: $2,474/month Range: 33 Code: 00591K
Benefits package includes insurance, retirement, annual and sick leave, disability, flexible spending account, and tuition waiver.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
REQUIRED ONLINE APPLICATION MATERIALS:
• Clark College online application
• Current resume
• Responses to the supplemental questions included in the online application.
Please apply online at www.clark.edu/jobs
To contact Clark College Human Resources, please call (360) 992-2105.
Upon request, accommodations are available to persons with disabilities for the application process. Contact Human Resources at (360)992-2105 or by video phone at (360)991-0901.
The security of all the members of the campus community is of vital concern to Clark College. Information regarding crime prevention advice, the authority of the Security/Safety Department, policies concerning reporting of any crimes which may occur on the campus, and crime statistics for the most recent 4-year period may be requested from the Clark College Security/Safety Department, (360) 992-2133. The most recent Annual Security Report can be viewed here: http://www.clark.edu/campus-life/student-support/security/report.php
If you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work.
CORRECTIONS OR EXTENDED NOTICES
Corrected or extended notices will be posted online and in the Human Resources Office.
Clark College Human Resources
Updated: May 13, 2019
Complete details: http://www.clark.edu/about/jobs-and-employment/jobs/index.php