Post Date: 03/05/2020
Close Date: 04/03/2020
Catlin Gabel School seeks to employ the best qualified individuals from available applicants and to provide them with opportunity for advancement in a manner that does not discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal equal employment opportunity laws or regulations.
The School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the school’s success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his or her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Position Title: UPPER SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Department: UPPER SCHOOL
FTE: .5 (Exempt)
Reports to: UPPER SCHOOL DEAN OF STUDENTS
The upper school counselor has the responsibility of guiding the social, emotional, and personal lives of students in grades 9-12 through direct counseling sessions, and group work (which may include peer counseling). The counselor offers general guidance of the entire upper school student body in collaboration with another counselor, the dean of students, and upper school head in regard to a healthy culture, and relationships. This position requires coordination with outside providers when necessary for student care. The counselor is available to meet with students, faculty, and parents.
The ideal candidate is culturally competent, collaborative, has strong communication skills and is able to identify student crises and define when a student needs a referral to an outside provider.
• Contribute to an overall school climate that promotes healthy development and the school’s mission and vision.
• Maintain an awareness of the student body – who they are and what they are doing as individuals and groups.
• Help ensure effective communication between all parts of the school community and with external individuals and organizations (other counselors and healthcare authorities) particularly among those especially responsible for the psychological and physical health of students.
• Work with students individually and make appropriate referrals for students needing critical care or long-term counseling support
• Work with faculty, advisors and the Upper School Learning Specialist to assist students in challenging situations.
• Develop and run a peer counseling program with its components of health education, helping-skills education, group problem solving and sharing, and social time.
• Establish other student groups as needed to address specific issues students hold in common.
• Maintain a database of reliable community referrals and resources.
• Maintain contact with other school counselors in the region.
• Maintain proper documentation of counseling work with students
• Work with other school counselors and personnel to maintain an effective, organized and innovative health curriculum in grades K-12.
• May teach sections of health class in the Upper School.
• Be a trusted, available and reliable resource for parents.
• Act as a referral agent for families who need counseling.
• Offer a variety of parent education opportunities about health and community issues.
• Attend parent conferences for those students in need.
• Work closely with faculty as a colleague, advisor and source of information.
• Facilitate faculty education about issues of importance and concern through workshops, conversation and distribution of materials.
• Participates on a school wide student support team that meets weekly.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
MA or MS in school counseling or psychology or LCSW from an accredited college or university. Minimum two years age-appropriate teaching or counseling experience required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx. Applicants MUST apply via the provided link to be considered.
Complete details: https://catlin.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx