Post Date: 06/12/2018
Close Date: 12/31/2018
Instructor, ABE/GED (Coffee Creek Correctional Facility)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09430
Location: Coffee Creek Correctional Facility
Address: 24499 SW Grahams Ferry Rd., Wilsonville, OR 97070
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Faculty Salary Range: $52,020 to $90,205 per year. Starting Salary generally will not exceed Step 3 ($55,728); higher placement considered based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
Job Close Date: Apply by July 2, 2018 for best consideration
This Portland Community College position is located in the minimum security section of Coffee Creek Correctional Facility, in Wilsonville, Oregon.
This position will begin as soon as possible.
The education program is year-round, with time-off equivalent to other full-time instructors scheduled throughout the year.
The ABE/GED Instructor collaborates closely with the Computer Lab and Tutoring Coordinator in evaluating the instructional needs of the students at Coffee Creek and guiding them through the successful completion of CASAS level gains or obtaining their GED, depending on ability. Most of the instructor's time is spent providing classroom instruction in a "home room" setting to women with various skill levels and educational needs. Depending on the methods the instructor prefers, there can be classroom support from carefully selected Adults in Custody (AIC) who function as classroom tutors and assistants. Class sizes are approximately 12-16 students. Classroom instruction is broad, covering all GED subjects and well as CASAS subjects, which are more life skills focused.
In addition to classroom instruction, the ABE/GED Instructor has other, typical, related responsibilities such as interpreting the CASAS test scores that are the result of intake testing, developing individual student education plans, and working with students to set realistic educational goals towards the achievement of CASAS performance gains and GED completion. The instructor will develop curriculum, update students' educational goals, identify and refer students for GED testing accommodations as needed, and enforce attendance and classroom policies."
Schedule: The weekly schedule of the students consists of two hours or more of classroom instruction, two hours of computer lab time, and two hours of one-on-one tutoring for a total of six hours or more of education programming.
Coffee Creek Correctional Facility (CCCF) is a multi-custody prison in Wilsonville accommodating all of the State of Oregon female inmates. Services and features include intake and evaluation of all female and male inmates committed to state custody by the courts, cell and dormitory housing, inmate work programs, skills training, education, treatment programs, health services, religious services, physical plant, warehouse space for on-site storage, a central records unit, and administration areas. Coffee Creek opened in 2001.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
PCC Faculty Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct students using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
Minimum Instructor Qualifications
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements - Note: experience requirements use full-time equivalent:
- Master's Degree in Education, Adult Education, or in a related field.
- Two years or experience teaching basic skills (reading, writing, and/or math) to undereducated, at-risk, and multi-cultural adult or high-school populations.
- Have basic computer literacy skills
Note Regarding Academic Credentials:
- Official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for degrees required in the stated minimum qualifications.
- Instructors shall have earned required academic credentials at a regionally accredited US institution or a foreign institution having the equivalent of regional accreditation. Instructors with credentials from other countries will have their transcripts evaluated by agencies that have good standing with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services to establish fulfillment of this standard.
For more information on PCC's General Instructor Qualifications Policy I301 visit:
In you Cover Letter, please address how you meet the following 5 Preferred Qualifications:
1. Corrections experience or other experience that demonstrates the ability to maintain healthy boundaries, guard against manipulation, and uphold security practices.
2. Experience teaching adults from diverse backgrounds (i.e. age, literacy level, ethnicity, etc.)
3. Demonstrated success working with populations that have educational challenges.
4 Experience teaching ABE/GED subject content with creativity and diverse methodology.
5. Demonstrated ability to successfully work self-directed as well as collaborate with stakeholders.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position please provide the following:
1) Completed online application
Be sure to indicate clearly how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications in the employment history to ensure this experience is taken into consideration.
2) Cover Letter (*Attach)
In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the Preferred Qualifications for the position
3) Current Resume/Vita (*Attach)
4) Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees) (*Attach)
Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Note to Applicants:
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2018 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
- These positions are included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Faculty Federation Employees. Employment in these positions will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1238453
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Complete details: http://apptrkr.com/1238453