Post Date: 05/31/2019
Close Date: 06/29/2019
Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying Administrator (Principal Executive/Manager F)
The mission of the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying (OSBEELS) is to regulate the practices of engineering, land surveying, photogrammetric mapping, and water right examination in the State as they relate to the welfare of the public in safeguarding life, health and property.
This mission is accomplished by:
Assuring that only competent individuals are granted licenses to practice engineering, land surveying, and photogrammetric mapping, that only registered individuals are offering and/or providing engineering, land surveying or photogrammetric mapping services, or water right examination and that registered individuals maintain high standards of practice and compliance with applicable statutes, rules, and regulations.
What we are looking for:
The Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying is looking for people with a strong desire to lead the semi-independent state agency responsible for regulating the practices of engineering, land surveying, photogrammetric mapping, and water right examination in the State to protect the welfare of the public and safeguard life, health, and property. The mission is accomplished by assuring only competent individuals are granted licenses to practice engineering, land surveying, and photogrammetric mapping services, or water right examination, and that registered individuals maintain high standards of practice and compliance with applicable statutes, procedures, and regulations. The agency licenses and regulates between 40,000 and 50,000 professionals.
This is an executive service position and is not represented by a union.
What’s in it for you:
As a leader of a motivated team, you will have the opportunity to set the vision, inspire, and lead the development of policies related to the administration and operations of OSBEELS, along with related requirements which help fulfill the mission of OSBEELS. We work together to ensure our customers trust us to do the right work, protect the welfare of the public and safeguard life, health, and property.
Benefits to working for OSBEELS include:
• Access to training that will help in the current role
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans for the employee and qualified family members, including $5,000 in employee basic life insurance
• Paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and 10 paid holidays per year
• Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP)
• Learn more about living the Oregon experience by visiting Travel Oregon's website.
What you will bring to the table:
You should possess an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of serving in an influential leadership post with a demonstrated history of following through on promises and commitments in a timely and consistent manner. You have an ability to communicate well and can discuss technical requirements to non-technical customers. You understand the importance of and can build great working relationships with constituents and stakeholders.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
• Four years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following: a) development of program procedures and policies, b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans, c) program evaluation, and d) budget preparation;
• Three years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following: a) development of program procedures and policies, b) development of long- and short-range goals and plans, c) program evaluation, and d) ) budget preparation;
• 45-48 quarter hours (30-32 semester hours) of graduate level coursework in management.
In addition, the ideal candidate would possess the following Requested Skills:
• Demonstrated leadership to inspire and achieve positive outcomes and change.
• Demonstrated communication skills for effective interaction with supervisory boards, stakeholders, and government partners.
• Experience in public contracting.
Customer Service: Demonstrated collaboration, negotiation, consensus and relationship building skills. Exceptional political acumen and the ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, board members, staff, management, employees and support staff. Committed to streamlining how government does business, creating more efficient and effective ways to provide services to the businesses and citizens Oregon.
Legislative: Legislative experience which includes interacting with and preparing for requests made during legislative sessions.
Budget: Budget planning and preparation including forecasting and establishing budget projections associated with revenue streams
Teamwork: Demonstrated success in leading others in a manner that fosters teamwork and commitment to delivering effective, quality results using performance metrics. Demonstrating successful leadership, including an understanding of how to effectively address needs, delegate, give and receive feedback and produce exceptional outcomes.
Policy guidance: Demonstrated knowledge and experience reviewing and analyzing state laws and regulations, as well as professional standards of practice, and providing guidance to stakeholders and staff to ensure compliance.
Strategic planning: Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic organizational goals, plans and policies. Experience analyzing complex and sensitive issues and situations, identify alternative solutions, forecast consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of strategic organizational goals, plans and policies.
Public speaking: Experience in presenting and speaking to groups, including public bodies, trade and business associations and other stakeholder groups, promoting the highest standards of excellence related to providing outstanding customer service, showing sensitivity to others and their interests in a continually changing environment.
You must clearly demonstrate in your application and application materials that you meet the qualifications listed. The role description sections of your application under “My Experience” must include a clear description of your experience in order to determine if you meet the required skills (minimum qualifications) and at what level you meet the requested skills. Failure to provide this information may result in not being considered further.
How To Apply:
• To apply for this position, click on the "Apply" button to fill out the online application (which is hosted by the WorkDay Oregon) and complete the questionnaire.
• The role description sections of your application must include a clear description of your experience in order to determine if you meet the required skills (minimum qualifications) and at what level you meet the requested skills/
• A resume and cover letter are required for this position. Please attach both documents to the “My Experience” section under Resume/CV in the application.
• Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
• As primary spokesperson for the Agency, the incumbent is occasionally interviewed by the press, radio and TV and required to speak before government and association entities. There is intense public and news media scrutiny and frequent interaction with stakeholders.
After you apply:
• Log in to your WorkDay Oregon account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
• Make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes.
• Be sure to check both your email and your Workday Oregon account for updates regarding this recruitment.
• Employment will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
• Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. NOTE: If claiming veterans preference please be sure to check your WorkDay Oregon account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
• The Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Helpful Links And Contact Information:
Learn more about Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying
Understanding the State Application Process
Help & Support webpage
Learn more about Oregon
This recruitment is being managed by the Department of Consumer and Business Services on behalf of the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying. After you apply, you will be prompted to indicate your preference to keep your application confidential or not in relations to any public records request. We understand that for this administrative level recruitment, many applicants may wish for their information to be kept private from their current employer and/or other potential employers, and any other entity that could adversely impact their employment opportunities. If you request to keep your application private, The Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying will honor your request. In addition, references will only be checked during the final stage of the recruitment and you will be notified by the recruiting team prior to any communications between the team and your references. If you have any general questions or concerns, you may contact may contact DCBS Talent Management Coordinator Tricarico at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-947-7296. For management related questions, please contact DCBS Deputy Human Resources Manager Robert J. Newton at email@example.com or 503-947-7011
OSBEELS is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Committed to Workforce Diversity
Visit our agency website at:
Our office is located at:
670 Hawthorne Ave. SE, Suite 220
Salem, OR 97301
OSBEELS Administrator (Principal Executive/Manager F)