Post Date: 01/07/2020
Close Date: 01/28/2020
The Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) is seeking a highly-qualified candidate to be our next full-time, permanent, Economic Development Specialist (Planner 4).
What would you be doing?
This position is responsible for:
• Serving as the expert in the areas of Statewide Planning Goal 9, Economic Development, giving policy advice to local government, state agencies, the legislature, and the governor’s office on planning and policy issues and solutions.
• Representing the department at public meetings and hearings and department Planners Network Meetings around the state; serving on and occasionally chairing technical and policy advisory committees. Preparing and presenting written and oral comments concerning department programs and activities, participating in negotiations and conflict resolution activities on behalf of the department and explain the interests and viewpoints of local governments, other agencies, and organizations to the department, preparing staff reports for the Land Conservation and Development Commission, either alone or with the assistance of other department staff. Presenting materials to the commission.
• Determining plans and strategies on issues of statewide significance and integrate policy and programs with other agency planning efforts. Determining agency policy regarding the implementation of goals, rules, and statutes related to needed economic and community development, leading department rulemaking efforts. Coordinating and assisting others in resolving interagency differences and establishing common positions among state agencies. Developing standards and criteria to guide others in evaluating plans and analytical techniques.
Closing Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2020, at 11:59 pm
Time Type: Full-time
Location: Salem, OR
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $5,828 - $8,550 Monthly
If you are interested, and you are current Oregon state employee, please apply on the internal jobs page. If you are an external applicant, please visit the Oregon job opportunities page.
• Knowledge and experience with interpreting, explaining, and applying laws, regulations, ordinances, and policies applicable to economic development;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. High performer when communicating and interacting with the Oregon Legislative Assembly and other elected officials;
• Ability to operate with a high degree of independence, often in situations that are not supportive of land use planning;
• Ability to manage complex and politically sensitive planning projects; designing projects by identifying problems, determining methodology, setting project goals and objectives, and developing work plans and budgets to develop policies and recommendations.
• Aptitude for working across all departmental teams to identify collaborative opportunities for innovation in all areas of departmental work;
• Experience applying the principles of community involvement, including convening stakeholder advisory committees; conducting public meetings; and presenting information to community members, including dealing with difficult community members;
• Experience collecting, evaluating and interpreting qualitative and quantitative analyses of economic data;
• Understanding economic principles and technology-based economic development practices in a wide variety of industry sectors.
You will join a team of talented individuals charged with helping communities and citizens plan for, protect, and improve the built and natural systems that provide a high quality of life for all Oregonians. In partnership with citizens and local governments, we foster sustainable and vibrant communities and protect our natural resources legacy. We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer committed to workforce diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly skilled and talented individuals across all departments and programs who best reflect the diversity of our region. Please visit the Department of Land Conservation and Development website to learn more about the exciting and rewarding work we do!
If you are not interested, please consider helping us recruit top talent by sharing this opportunity with potential applicants and interested networks.