Post Date: 01/03/2020
Close Date: 01/17/2020
Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Compensation: $80,000/year + Generous Benefits Package
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt; final deadline to apply is January 17, 2020.
Connection is a basic human need. But many of us face barriers that keep us from experiencing deep connection. As Development Director for Maybelle Center for Community, you’ll help disrupt social isolation so more of us can experience a healthy, connected life and contribute to a thriving Portland. You can find out how we grow connection on our website: www.maybellecenter.org.
At Maybelle Center, we do things a bit differently. What would it really be like to be Development Director at Maybelle Center?
You relish the challenge of articulating a need that is universal and yet invisible to many people. A collector of stories, you’ll invite donors into the world of social isolation, knowing there are rarely quick fixes. You’re someone who understands that bringing in dollars is the primary role of this position, but isn’t afraid to take a deeper look at a time-honored fundraising principle in order to advance equity.
Collaboration is a measureable indicator of success. When a board member stops by to ask if you know “so and so,” you recognize the name as a major donor prospect and recruit the board member’s assistance in engaging the donor in Maybelle Center’s mission and activities. While it may be quicker to just do something yourself, you believe collaboration is more than a hurdle to achieve buy-in and usually results in a better product. As a member of the senior management team, you’ll work side-by-side with those who are closest to the issue – including your development team, the board, program staff, and members.
But collaboration doesn’t mean micromanagement. Knowing you’re only one person, you and your team have a high level of trust in each other as you work together to balance your finite time between new initiatives and stewarding current donors. You’ll lead the way in raising approximately $700,000 per year, with a goal to grow annual revenue to $1 million in a couple of years. Don’t worry; you’ll get tons of guidance and support from your Executive Director, who was in your development shoes for many years.
Relationships are at the heart of everything we do at Maybelle Center. You and your team will problem-solve how to keep nursing students engaged after short-term practicums and convert volunteers into future donors. And growing relationships with people who can give monetarily are only part of the equation. Instead of raising money for a ‘cause’, you’ll be raising money to support Wendy, Michael, Gayle - and so many other members you know on a first-name-basis from spending time in our Community Room. And after a particularly meaningful interaction, you’ll wonder if you might be getting as much out of the relationships as members do.
This is what the job looks like in detail:
• Craft and implement an annual development strategy and budget focused on donor acquisition and continued growth in contributed revenue, raising approximately $700,000 annually.
• Manage and track prospects, including identification, stewardship and cultivation, and solicitation, across all levels of fundraising (i.e., annual fund, events, grants, etc.), utilizing DonorPerfect to maximize effectiveness.
• Personally cultivate, solicit, steward, and monitor a portfolio of major donors and donor prospects.
• Support board members and Executive Director in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of gifts to the Center.
• In conjunction with the contract grant writer, develop grant strategy, and oversee the timely submission of grant proposals, reporting, and the management of foundation relations.
• Manage donor events, including major annual gala. Work with team to produce other smaller fundraising and cultivation events.
• Collaborate with Fundraising Systems Coordinator in utilizing systems for managing gift acknowledgment, gift records and reporting, and direct mail that supports annual and long-term fundraising objectives.
• Ensure close coordination between development, program, and finance departments.
• Represent the Center to businesses, professional groups, religious, and other organizations.
Leadership and Management (15%)
• Responsible for leading all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the development program.
• Supervise Communications Manager, Fundraising Systems Coordinator, contract grant writer, and other development-related contractors.
• Serve as a member of the senior leadership team with the Executive Director, Finance Director, and Associate Executive Director/Program Director.
• Review and share monthly development reports and findings with the Executive Director and board of directors.
• Lead and serve on board and volunteer committees as assigned.
• Participate in the Center’s equity work.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Collaborate with Communications Manager to create and implement an annual marketing and communications strategy that supports fundraising activities and aligns with program and organizational priorities.
• Work with Communication Manager and Fundraising Systems Coordinator to create and manage direct mail appeals, annual reports, e-newsletters, videos, and other internal and external communications.
• 5-7 years of development experience, including experience as a Development Director.
• Managed a successful development program and team, including annual fundraising, major gifts, grant writing, and communications.
• Personally cultivated and solicited major gifts from individuals and businesses, resulting in gifts, preferably with a knowledge of local and regional community leaders, philanthropists, and influencers, including grant-making organizations.
• A commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion within Maybelle Center and our city.
• Flexible work hours, especially at certain times during the year.
• Experience with donor databases; DonorPerfect preferred.
• Thrive in a highly collaborative environment but can also work independently.
• Manage multiple projects and deadlines with ease.
• Have strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Motivate and inspire others.
• Can pass a background check.
Fully paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee; flexible spending account; 3% employer matching contribution to Simple IRA retirement fund; employer-paid life and disability insurance; PTO and holidays; parking or bus pass paid; dog-friendly workplace.
Nonprofit Professionals Now is proud to partner with Maybelle Center for Community to fill this key leadership position. Applicants are required to provide a resume, a cover letter articulating your fit for the position, and answers to three application questions. Please review application instructions and submit your information via our online portal.
Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt, with final deadline to apply of January 17, 2019
1. Why does the mission of Maybelle Center for Community resonate with you, and how would you articulate it to donors?
2. How do you think diversity, equity, and inclusion principles interact with fundraising?
3. What do you think makes a successful manager?
Maybelle Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
Complete details: https://npprofessionals.com/career-center/view-listing/open/1244