Post Date: 03/07/2019
Close Date: 04/15/2019
Warner Pacific University’s Mission: Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered, urban, liberal arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds with an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. Our hiring practices reflect our missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Warner Pacific University’s Commitment to Diversity: Warner Pacific University is committed to hiring staff and faculty with an intentionality that demonstrates the importance of having an employee community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the students we serve. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary Description: The Controller is a full-time, benefit eligible position reporting to the Vice President for Finance. This role provides accounting and financial reporting leadership while ensuring compliance with applicable Federal and State regulations. The Controller is responsible for the development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and controls. The Controller manages the accounting functions of the University including general ledger, accounts payable, payroll, accounts and loans receivable, cash receipts, gift accounting, endowment and life income accounting, plant fund accounting, financial reporting, audit coordination and accounting systems operations.
• Manages accounting staff ensuring work is performed and in a timely and accurate manner.
• Oversees the management of the University’s budget.
• Monitors the University’s financial records to ensure accuracy and integrity of the data. Maintains the finance and operations budget and monitors the quasi-endowment and restricted endowment, loans, life income and plant operations.
• Prepares annual financial statements for audit and coordinates with the University’s auditors in the annual audit. Maintains up to date knowledge of accounting theory and reporting requirements.
• Leads the development of University accounting and reporting systems controls and reports.
• Assists the University in applying for federal and private grants. Responsible for financial grant accounting and reporting including Perkins loan program.
• Supports initiatives and projects including information technology planning and facilitating the availability of textbooks and bookstore operations.
• Supports trustee committees for audit, investment and finance and prepares reports for trustee meetings.
• Responsible for federal, state, and private higher education reporting requirements of all fiscal and many operational areas of the University. Assists department heads in the interpretation and understanding of their financials data and operational matters.
• Maintains banking and investment records insuring accounts are reconciled monthly and all transactions are accounted for properly.
• Prepares monthly financial reports within university guidelines and reviews for accuracy before publishing.
• Contributes to the supports and implementation of the University Strategic Plan.
• Participates in Warner Pacific University professional development opportunities.
• Adheres to University policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates commitment to a Christ-centered liberal arts education by upholding the mission of the University and abiding by the Employment Standards and Lifestyle Agreement.
• Exhibits commitment to inclusiveness and sensitivity in areas of national origin, ethnicity, culture, gender, and disabilities.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
• Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting or closely related field.
• Five years of progressively responsible accounting experience, three years of which include responsibility for overseeing an accounting department and supervising professional and support staff demonstrating analytical qualitative communication interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Audit experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated proficiency in making financial presentations and explaining accounting procedures in lay terms.
• Proficient computer skills including Excel and computer based accounting systems.
• Experience in a non-profit and/or higher education environment.
• Master’s degree in business, finance, accounting or closely related field.
• Certified Public Accountant.
Physical Demands – Work Environment:
• The position is located in a typical office environment. Professional/business casual attire is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Warner Pacific provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status and any other status protected by laws and regulations to which Warner Pacific is subject. All employment decisions, including hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, and terminations are made in a manner that does not discriminate against individuals in the categories discussed above. Because Warner Pacific is a Christian liberal arts University, the University exercises its legal right to hire Christian employees to fulfill its mission and purpose.
Commitment to Diversity:
Warner Pacific University is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and a multicultural learning environment. Inquiries are encouraged from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University. Warner Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse workforce of committed Christians from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Warner Pacific University is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and a multicultural learning environment. We, therefore, encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University. Warner Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse workforce of committed Christians from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds.
To Apply: In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at www.warnerpacific.edu/jobs. Click "Apply Now" to complete the online application, and submit the following:
2. Cover letter with names/contact information for three professional references