Post Date: 08/07/2019
Close Date: 08/16/2019
The Academic and Career Advisor’s primary responsibility will be to provide academic and career advising services to a diverse population of graduate students pursuing a Master’s of Science in Sports Product Management and Oregon Executive MBA. This position will play an integral role in representing students and the needs of the Lundquist College UO Portland Student Experience Team and UO Portland committees.
The Academic and Career Advisor will be a member of a close-knit student services team of highly motivated professionals that has a reputation for providing excellence in student services. The successful candidate will share in the commitment to meet the needs of students through innovative, high quality, and efficient delivery of advising services. This position requires a strong commitment to serving the needs of students, and working collaboratively in a collegial, supportive environment. Advisors must demonstrate respect for all individuals, welcome diversity among students and colleagues, and actively work toward an inclusive workplace.
The Academic and Career Advisor will work with faculty and staff from a variety of offices within the Lundquist College of Business and across the University campus including the Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, International Affairs, Dean of Students Office, and the Graduate School. This position will also have program coordination responsibilities that may require working closely with outside partners. Additional responsibilities include assisting with orientation and student events, designing and conducting career workshops, and assisting with industry engagement.
This position will report to the Associate Director of Graduate Affairs and Student Experience. Some domestic and international travel may be required.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Three years’ experience working in advising, coaching, counseling or related fields
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong computer skills
• Excellent time management and organization skills.
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
• Master’s degree in higher education, student services/student affairs, social work or related area
• Three years student advising experience at a college/university level
• One year career advising experience at a college/university level
• Successful experience teaching to a large audience.
• Knowledge of University and/or community resources to assist individuals meeting mental/physical health, financial, academic, and other basic needs
• Strong record of innovative programming background
• Demonstrated experience working with a diverse group of students
• Project/event management skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your online application including 3 references, please upload the following materials:
b. Cover letter;
c. Answers to two supplemental questions (no more than 500 words each):
1. The students, faculty, and staff of Lundquist College of Business Portland are committed to nurturing a diverse community. Please describe how you would work to create a diverse environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and increasingly diverse.
2. Please explain your understanding of the challenges and/or difficulties faced by graduate students in professional master’s programs, and how will you apply that understanding to your work? What steps or actions will you take to continue to build your knowledge in this area?