Post Date: 12/03/2018
Close Date: 12/14/2018
Regulatory Compliance Manager
Non Union Position
Regulatory Affairs; Portland, OR
Posting # 50276672
November 30, 2018
At NW Natural, we like to say, “We grew up here.” We’ve been an energy supplier and community leader since 1859. Some of our neighbors know us through our philanthropy and volunteer programs and innovative approaches to carbon reduction.
Our customers know us because of the clean, safe, efficient, and low-cost natural gas we provide. We are a service-oriented utility, with a “Best in the West” customer satisfaction ranking.
If you share our core values – integrity, safety, service ethic, caring and environmental stewardship – we invite you to apply to NW Natural.
Manages the Rates & Regulatory Department’s compliance activity specific to state-regulated utility tariffs and state regulatory commission-directed obligations. Compliance activity includes but may not be limited to:
• Regulatory Compliance Consulting/Business Support/Training & Education
• Compliance Site Development, Maintenance, and Enforcement
• Oversee Regulatory Filings and Participate in Regulatory Dockets
• Records and Content Management; and
• Tariff Administration
Develops and implements recommended actions or policies to maintain or improve company-wide regulatory compliance. Provides advice to management and client organizations regarding regulatory issues, tariff development, and regulatory obligations and compliance.
Day to day:
• Manage and supervise a team of employees whose duties include: develop and maintain the Company’s regulated utility regulatory compliance program, monitor and enforce regulatory deadlines and compliance obligations; develop internal compliance plans and education programs
• Develop and/or facilitate the implementation of new strategies, programs, compliance systems, and/or compliance enforcement processes in response to changing internal and external conditions and new or revised state laws, regulations, rules, and tariffs.
• Prepare routine and non-routine administrative reports, studies, records, and filings.
• Participate in regulatory proceedings and ongoing compliance activities before Oregon and Washington Public Utilities Commissions, and the Federal Regulatory Commission.
• Develop strategy for regulatory proceedings; build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including consumer advocacy groups and the Staff of the Oregon Public Utility Commission and the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.
• Interpret existing tariffs and rules; author and/or assign others to author new tariffs and update existing tariff language to respond to regulatory issues.
• Assist with and/or facilitate the preparation of regulatory reports and filings, including the annual purchased gas adjustment filings, deferral applications, general rate filings, etc.
• Develop and/or facilitate the development of department processes and procedures specific to regulatory documents and content and records management.
• Develops, trains, and mentors individual and team members with documentation and ongoing performance feedback; recognizes accomplishments and provides cross-training opportunities when applicable.
• Demonstrates appropriate leadership and decision-making behaviors; maintains technical job knowledge and personal skill development. Committed to coaching and developing employees.
• Supports Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices.
Come on your first day with:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 7-10 years relevant experience in a business environment. Experience in a regulated utility preferred.
• Project management and leadership skills and experience, including the ability to manage a team, to maintain project timelines, and deliver on commitments. Management experience preferred.
• Must be a confident self-starter with the proven ability to exercise sound independent judgment and proactively meet the demands of the business.
• Excellent public speaking and writing skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at various organizational levels, both within NWN and with third parties.
• Knowledge of technical and economic characteristics of energy business. Familiarity with economic regulation of public utilities, energy industry terminology, and utility tariffs and rate structures.
• Research and analysis skills including the ability to evaluate complex situations, develop creative alternatives, provide recommendations, and negotiate and influence outcomes.
• Advanced experience working in the Microsoft Sharepoint application, and experience with other Microsoft applications.
• Proven ability to research, interpret and apply, company policies, procedures, practices, and applicable federal, state, and local government laws and regulations.
What we offer:
• Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
• Meaningful Annual Incentive Bonus Opportunity in addition to base salary
• 401(k) with generous match and additional 5% employer contribution
• Company provided Trimet or C-Tran passes/Bike storage for cyclists
• Green Team/Diversity & Inclusion Council/Safety Team/Women’s Network
• Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
• 20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
• Generous Vacation/Sick leave program
• 7 Paid Holidays and up to 3 floating holidays to add an extra paid day off to Holidays Observed by NW Natural
• Flexible work schedule opportunities
Base salary range – Min. $91,500 – (*$100,900 to $126,650) – Max. $132,700, depending on qualifications; *Expected Hiring Range
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including a cover letter and a resume. Applications will be reviewed once application deadline has passed.
Deadline: December 14, 2018
At NW Natural we are committed to fair compensation, pay equity and equal opportunity for advancement in the workplace. Salaries are determined based on a combination of education, experience, skills, performance and internal equity to similar roles within our organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Complete details: https://www.nwnatural.com/Careers/JobOpportunities