Post Date: 03/22/2019
Close Date: 04/30/2019
Full Time, Full Benefits
The Bilingual (Spanish and English) Teacher is responsible for development and implementation of the academic program, documentation of state and ORR assessment standards, report cards and supervision. The position provides supervision in the education setting and supports the program’s behavioral model. Academic instruction provided is consistent with the students’ academic development, literacy and linguistic ability. The course instruction includes varying levels of English, Math and Science including English language training. The teacher will join our Shelter program team. This position in located in Portland, Oregon.
About the Program:
PASO is mid- level security (staff -secure) residential facility for adolescent boys. The youth are primarily from Latin American countries and occasionally from other areas of the world. They reside in our care, living in a 16- bed residential facility. Our program is designed to help the youth, by creating a secure and therapeutic environment in which the youth learn the necessary skills to be self-sufficient. Through our residential facility, the youth have access to education, and mental health services onsite; while they are waiting reunification with family, a sponsor or the next steps in their immigration case. To ensure the safety of the minors in the program, we maintain stricter security measures, such as higher staff to client ratio for supervision. This placement is for youth who require close supervision but do not need placement in a secure facility.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Provide educational instruction in groups identified by the students’ needs, abilities, and level of educational competency. Deliver educational services in a programmed, structured classroom setting for six (6) hours per day that follows the school calendar for the academic school year calendars and summer school calendar developed by Morrison.
• Determine the need for remedial education and provide recommendations for after school tutoring as appropriate.
• Regularly assess each student in the programs to determine individual educational competency levels.
• Provide academic assessments and educational curricula adapted from local educational standards.
Education and Work Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• Bachelor’s degree and licensed by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for assignment as a teacher or Master’s degree and Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) /Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages certification (TESOL)
• Bi-lingual in English and Spanish required
• Experience using technology such as laptops, overhead projectors, in a school setting.
• Intermediate computer skills
• Special Education
• Prior experience with adolescents in a school or mental health setting is preferred
• Understanding of other core subject areas such as physical education, science, advanced mathematics, GED preparation
• Pass a DHS criminal history background
• Meet agency driving requirements
Starting Pay Rate:
Pay Range (ESL/TESOL): $21.19 - $21.69
Pay Range (OR licensed teacher): $23.24 - $23.79
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence - being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence - managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning - respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy - shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication - saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility - everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change - creating hope for our clients and ourselves
Visit our website to learn more about mission and history and our strategy for accomplishing our goal of achieving significant, positive, and long-term clinical outcomes for our clients
About our City:
Portland is a town that is art friendly, a food lover’s dream, plus has miles of gorgeous hiking trails and is but an hour plus from the Oregon ocean beaches.
Click here to apply:
***If viewing job through Indeed.com or Glassdoor go to: https://www.morrisonkids.org/careers/openpositions/ and select the job title “Teacher” and click: “APPLY NOW!”
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://morrisonkids.org/job/teacher-paso/