Post Date: 12/11/2018
Close Date: 01/31/2019
NATIONAL DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Ideally Based in Metro Portland, OR; May also be Based in Greater Washington, DC
Management Recruiters - Mid Hudson Valley is an executive search firm focused solely in serving the nonprofit sector. We have a national practice and the large majority of our placements are executive leadership and senior fundraising professionals.
Our client is Compassion & Choices (C&C – www.compassionandchoices.org). Compassion & Choices works nationally to improve care and expand choice at the end of life. Compassion & Choices envisions a society where everyone receives state-of-the-art care at the end of life, and a full range of choices for dying in comfort, dignity and control. They engage their mission through three main pillars of service: end-of-life consultation, educational programs, and legislative/legal advocacy. Compassion & Choices is leading the way nationwide in their efforts to make medical aid in dying a legal and acceptable option for terminally-ill, mentally competent adults. They are taking a multi-prong approach--legislation, litigation, and ballot initiative—to assure that they bring end-of-life options to everyone.
C&C has retained us to recruit and place a skilled National Director of Human Resources with them.
The National Director of Human Resources is directly responsible for the overall management, administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function and for helping C&C to realize a diverse and inclusive culture and workforce. Follows best practices and trends in human resources and diversity and inclusion in the following key areas: diversity & inclusion, performance coaching, recruitment support, compensation analysis, professional development, employee engagement transactional activities, onboarding; and employee relations. Works towards meeting the strategic priorities of C&C by developing and implementing tactics for approved plans and completing and organizing multiple day-to-day and special tasks and activities related to HR/D&I.
• Act independently within broad program goals to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
• Champions C&C’s Diversity & Inclusion by working across the organization to ensure staff is approaching their hiring and management with diversity and inclusion best practices. Serve as a leader on the D&I team to develop best in class programs, sponsorships, events, communications, and employee experiences that promote diversity and inclusion within C&C. Brings D&I issues/concerns to the appropriate individuals with recommendations on how to address/resolve.
• Ensure compliance with C&C policies and procedures; work with COO to ensure alignment of HR priorities. Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws.
• Supports and guides manager/supervisors in coaching, employee relations and performance improvement issues.
• Financial responsibility may include expense reporting, negotiating and contracting with HR and related vendors, participating in budget preparation, and limited purchasing. Provide input through project teams for the development and implementation of new initiatives or the improvement of existing programs.
• Travel (5%) to other C&C offices, conferences, etc.; ability to work flexible hours, as needed.
• Researches, coordinates and implements, and may develop, professional development experiences for C&C staff; supports supervisors with staff career development planning.
• Develops and administers various human resources plans and procedures for all company personnel.
• Plans, organizes and controls all activities of the department. Working with the COO, develops department goals, objectives and systems.
• Implements and annually updates the compensation program; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
• Creates communication materials (including regular employee emails) and performs analysis and research related to HR activities.
• Develops, recommends and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains publication of policies and procedures on C&C intranet; performs benefits administration to include working with PEO (TriNet) and COO on annual re-evaluation / determination of plans / contributions for the annual benefit year.
• Remains up-to-date on HR trends and best practices to improve services.
• Assists hiring managers with recruitment efforts for all staff positions with diversity and inclusion at the forefront…to include writing and placing internal and external postings; works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conducts reference checking; assists hiring manager with offer details; prepares offer letter for hiring manager’s signature; extends job offers in manager’s absence.
• Coordinates on-boarding process which includes sending new employee on-boarding forms/information; criminal background check; setting employee up in HR database (TriNet) and time cards (NetTime); employee bio; welcome emails to new employees, etc.
• Coordinates company-wide new-employee orientation sessions.
• Coordinates termination process…includes conducting exit interviews, initiating termination paperwork/process, processing final checks, etc.
• Establishes and maintains department / personnel records and reports – to include, organizational charts; employee directory; roles & responsibilities, employee bio, etc.
• Evaluates reports, decisions and results of department initiatives in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
• Bachelor’s degree and 8 or more years Human Resources experience with a demonstrated track record of effectively leading a Human Resources program.
• Experience championing a Diversity & Inclusion program…or key participant on a D&I team.
• SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) and/or SPHR credentials strongly desired.
• Non-profit and department-of-one experience would be a plus.
• Experience generating reports and analyzing and interpreting the data.
• Experience with business process analysis and/or improvement.
• Competent with current technology in relevant field as well as Google cloud; Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Skilled in using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate staff.
• Experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Knowledge of current trends in Human Resources.
• Successful experience implementing strategic program goals.
• Business Acumen.
• Critical Evaluation.
• HR Expertise.
• Diversity Awareness.
• Leadership & Navigation.
• Relationship Management.
• Ethical Practice.
This is a full-time salaried position based in either Portland, OR or Washington, DC. C&C offers a very competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
Compassion & Choices is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.
If you are interested in this excellent career opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter (Word documents only, please) to:
Owner / Manager
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley
Complete details: http://mrmhv.com/current-opportunities/