Post Date: 09/30/2019
Close Date: 10/14/2019
Gift Shop Sales Associate (part-time)
PORTLAND ART MUSEUM, OREGON
The Portland Art Museum welcomes applications for the position of Gift Shop Sales Associate. The Museum Gift Shop offers an eclectic selection of interesting gifts and has one of the best selections of art books in the city. If you have a knack for retail and are interested in people, art, books and fashion; then apply today!
The Portland Art Museum (PAM) strives to be an inclusive institution that facilitates respectful dialogue, debate, and the free exchange of ideas. With a deep commitment to artists – past and present – and freedom of expression, the Museum and Northwest Film Center’s collections, programs and staff aspire to reveal the beauty and complexities of the world, and create a deeper understanding of our shared humanity. We are a Museum for all, inviting everyone to connect with art through their own experiences, voices, and personal journeys. The Northwest Film Center (NWFC), a sister organization to the Museum, is a regional media arts resource and service organization founded to encourage the study, appreciation, and utilization of the moving image arts, foster their artistic and professional excellence, and to help create a climate in which they may flourish. PAM and the NWFC are committed to advancing equity and inclusion by creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will continue learning as we work to evolve as an Institution, recognizing that this journey has no end and our commitment must remain. We have an active equity team currently engaged in a year-long journey to examine our internal culture and the work we do through an equity lens. We look forward to having all colleagues join and contribute to this important work. Learn more at https://portlandartmuseum.org/about/mission/.
PAM and the NWFC are equal opportunity employers, committed to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, disability or any other legally protected status. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, PAM and the NWFC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the application, interview, and hiring process. Alternative formats of this application are available upon request. If reasonable accommodation or an alternative form of this application are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.276.4358.
• Helps shop customers with merchandise information and purchases
• Operates the electronic cash register and reconciles cash drawer
• Creates and maintains shop displays, keeps store clean, and organizes back stock
• Rotates stock and fills in from back stock
• Helps ticket merchandise
• Have current knowledge on museum's current exhibits and how they relate to merchandise
• Promotes equity and inclusion goals and supports the work
• Previous retail/selling experience is required
• Interest in people, art, books, and fashion highly preferred
• Visual display experience is a plus
• Accuracy, attention to detail and the effectively perform under time constraints
• Works effectively with Museum staff, volunteers, and all ages of the general public
• Positively engage and connect with customers and sell merchandise
• Availability for evening, weekend, and holiday shifts and ability to be flexible with schedule
• Lift up to 30 lbs. and stand on feet all day
• Adhere to Museum Gift Shop dress code of business casual attire
• Promote equity and inclusion goals and have a “people first” mindset.
This position is part-time (up to 29 hours per week) and will include evening, weekend and holiday hours as needed. For applicant’s knowledge regarding scheduling, please note-- this role is ongoing so those available for summer hours only cannot be considered. The Gift Shop’s busiest season is during the winter holidays so those applicants not planning travel during the holiday will be the best fit.
Compensation is budgeted at $14 per hour. The position is eligible for paid time off and a variety of perks such as free Museum admission, Gift Shop discounts, and screenings at the NW Film Center. Please see our website for more details.
To apply online visit: www.portlandartmuseum.org/careers/ follow the link to create a profile. Resumes received without completed employment application will not be considered. Please no drop ins. For questions or accommodation please contact email@example.com.
The Portland Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: Monday, October 14, 2019 at 4 pm PST.
Complete details: www.portlandartmuseum.org/careers/