Post Date: 11/04/2019
Close Date: 11/13/2019
Portland YouthBuilders is a small alternative high school and career development program dedicated to serving low-income young people, ages 17-24, who want to transform their lives. PYB’s focus is on helping students to complete high school and prepare for post-secondary education, obtain vocational skills, become critical thinkers and community leaders, develop viable career pathways, and succeed in placements in post-secondary education and/or employment in preparation for launching careers.
PYB is deeply committed to continuously working to make our organization a more equitable and just place for both students and staff. As it is written in our equity statement: At PYB, we believe that communities are strengthened when diversity is honored. We believe we have a responsibility to interrupt and confront inequity. At PYB, we commit to continuously reflect and challenge the ways in which we, as a community, and as individuals, perpetuate inequity. It is not only vital to our students’ success but essential to our purpose.
The DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM ASSISTANT will provide assistance to Development Department staff in order to increase financial and in-kind donations from PYB’s growing network of individual, foundation, and corporate supporters.
The DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM ASSISTANT position is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer position in the PYB Development Department. We are seeking a candidate that is inspired by our mission of helping young people transform their lives through learning and service. An interest and passion for social justice is a must. This VISTA position is a great professional learning opportunity for applicants who are looking to build skills and experience in donor relations, event management, communications, and grant reporting, among other non-profit skills sets.
VISTA is a national service program administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), and VISTA members must attend a Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) on the official start date with Portland YouthBuilders. Portland YouthBuilders anticipates the next training to be held on December 9, 2019.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Director of Development
Schedule: Twelve-month, full-time (40 hours per week)
Position Starts: December 9, 2019, but a candidate will be selected no later than November 13, 2019.
Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance ($14,625 before taxes/year in Portland, OR, based on the local poverty level), a monthly bus pass, and health benefits during their service. VISTA members also have the option of receiving a $6,195 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award after completing their term of service. There are a variety of other benefits such as eligibility-based childcare assistance, relocation allowance, and federal non-competitive status.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Assist with major fundraising event
• Track and report on donor data
• Assist with PYB communications and marketing
• Assist and support Development Department in research of funding opportunities, preparation of meeting materials and grant proposals, and periodic grant reporting
• Drafting and editing communication materials for distribution to supporters and funders
• Acting as a knowledgeable representative of PYB at community outreach events
• Assist with planning and coordinating small-scale events and funder visits to PYB
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
• GED or High School Diploma; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Valid Driver's License and a good driving record (for the purposes of insurance coverage)
• Reliable transportation required; access to a car preferred
• Experience working in an office environment including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software (Salesforce preferred)
• Strong attention to detail
• Experience with print and digital design
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Some evening and weekend work may be required
• AmeriCorps VISTA eligible
• Ability to pass pre-employment criminal background check and drug testing
• Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident
To apply: email resume and cover letter to Tonia Kovtunovich, Director of Individual & Corporate Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Application for Development VISTA” in the subject line.
Closing Date: Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
For more information, visit our website at www.pybpdx.org.
Portland YouthBuilders’ mission connects us to people and communities across Portland. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other classifications applicable by law. Portland YouthBuilders is committed to the diversity of our people, programs and services. The organization acts affirmatively in the employment and advancement of qualified people of color. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY1-800-735-2900
This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations. PYB employees must successfully complete a criminal background and drug test check prior to employment. Portland YouthBuilders is a Drug Free Workplace and adheres to the requirements of the Drug Free Workplace Act. Portland YouthBuilders’ students and staff are subject to random drug tests.
• This program is funded 28% through a Federal award of $1.1 million from the U.S. Department of Labor – ETA for the YouthBuild Program Initiative.
• This program financed in whole (or in part) with funds provided through Worksystems, Inc. from the U.S. Department of Labor.
• PYB is an AmeriCorps program and students who are AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award.
Complete details: http://pybpdx.org/about/career-opportunities