Post Date: 04/25/2019
Close Date: 05/17/2019
Overview: Literary Arts seeks an efficient, well-organized individual to assist the Executive Director on a full-time basis. This position plays a key role in the daily operations of an established and dynamic literary nonprofit, offering wide-ranging experiences to a candidate seeking a career in arts administration.
Executive Assistant Responsibilities:
• Administrative support: Manage the Executive Director’s schedule and travel logistics, internal and external meetings and communications, and other administrative support as needed.
• Board relations: Schedule, set-up, and take minutes at monthly meetings of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee. Assist with all Board communications in coordination with the Executive Director.
• Writing, editing, and proofreading: Draft written communications for the Executive Director. Copyedit/proofread memos, reports, presentations, and other documents as requested by the Executive Director.
• Project coordination: Manage projects as requested by the Executive Director. Past examples include the 2015 office expansion, The Archive Project, and temporary program management while a staff member was on leave.
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Office Assistant Responsibilities:
• Manage some of the administrative budget, office inventory and supplies, and onsite storage unit.
• Coordinate all office systems (e.g., IT, A/V, and general office maintenance), including liaising with outside contractors and vendors (e.g., computer and phone technicians, building management, etc.).
• Assist with front-of-house hospitality, including welcoming guests and answering phones.
• Act as a proofreader for all organizational documents and oversee adherence to style guide.
• Maintain internal tracking systems (e.g., passwords, keys, etc.).
• Coordinate internal communications for staff-wide activities, including calendar management and coordination of staff meetings and retreats.
• Maintain staff and office polices, including hiring practices and procedures.
• Coordinate onsite events for external groups.
Qualifications: We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying, Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant.
• Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree.
• 1-2 years experience as an administrative assistant. Experience with calendar management and taking minutes preferred.
• Strong time management skills, including the ability to set and meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and show flexibility with tasks.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including strong proofreading skills.
• Fluency with Mac and Microsoft business applications, including the Microsoft Suite and the Adobe Suite. Experience with Filemaker Pro and Wordpress a plus.
• Basic design skills a plus.
• Impeccable attention to detail.
• Good sense of humor.
• Desire to communicate and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Comfortable in an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences.
• Commitment to the mission of Literary Arts.
This is a full-time, non-exempt salaried position with generous benefits.
Salary range: $34,000-40,000 DOE.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Literary Arts is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our employees and volunteers. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Please send a PDF document that includes the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover Letter
3. Candidate Checklist: Please complete the attached form.
When you send your application materials, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your materials that includes a link to five voluntary and anonymous survey questions that will help us assess the diversity of our pool of applicants. Literary Arts will use this information for statistical analysis only. By providing this information, you will help us ensure that our recruitment includes a broad cross-section of our diverse communities.
Deadline: First review of applications will begin on Friday, May 17.
About Literary Arts: Literary Arts is a community-based nonprofit arts organization located in Portland, Oregon with a 34-year history of serving the state's readers and writers. Our programs include Portland Arts & Lectures, one of the country's largest lecture series; Oregon Book Awards & Fellowships, which celebrates Oregon's writers and independent publishers; Youth Programs, which inspire students to write, revise, edit, publish, and perform their own creative writing; and Portland Book Festival, which builds community around literature through author events, workshops, a book fair, and more. We also host guided discussion groups around great works of literature through a program called Delve. For more information about Literary Arts, visit www.literary-arts.org.
The mission of Literary Arts is to engage readers, support writers, and inspire the next generation with great literature.
Complete details: https://literary-arts.org/who-we-are/open-positions/