Post Date: 05/06/2019
Close Date: 05/17/2019
Community Risk Reduction Specialist
Hillsboro Fire & Rescue
Salary Range: $59,651 to $78,496 annually.
Starting salary is $59,651 to $72,574 (depending upon qualifications), plus full benefits package.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
The City of Hillsboro is seeking a Community Risk Reduction Specialist to join their Fire & Rescue department. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to promote fire prevention and safety awareness through leadership, vision, and management.
• Present fire and life safety education to a diverse audience in the Hillsboro community.
• Integrate a fire department presence into public events sponsored by the city and other community, business or private stakeholders.
• Examine risks identified within the community and develop a plan through partnerships on how to best mitigate the risks identified.
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to develop, promote, coordinate, and conduct activities and programs which will educate or train community and department members concerning fire, life safety, injury prevention, fire extinguisher, and other dimensions of fire department activities.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Associates degree in Communications, Journalism, Education, Business/Marketing, Fire Science, or a closely related field; and 3 years’ experience in education and public information, or public relations/marketing; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Familiarity with the fire service is desirable.
• Valid Driver’s License and safe driving record;
• NFPA Public Fire and Life Safety Educator I Certification within one year of hire;
• NFPA G-290 Basic Public Information Officer within one year of hire;
• ICS 300 and 400 within one year of hire;
• Juvenile Fire Prevention Specialist I within one year of hire
• Applicable coursework in Fire Science, and/or Public involvement;
• Applicable Incident Command System Coursework Certification in area of assignment.
Please visit our website Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/Jobs to apply online through our link. For an alternative to our online application system you may download and print an application packet.
Employment applications must be completed online or returned by mail, fax or in person by the closing deadline of the position. Applications received after the filing deadline, by email, or without a resume, cover letter, and supplemental questions will not be considered. Resumes will not substitute for the employment application. Applications may be submitted by fax to meet the application deadline.
Complete details: www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/Jobs