Post Date: 04/05/2019
Close Date: 05/01/2019
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
Position: ReStore Donation Pickup Driver
Department: Donations Pickup
Reports to: Logistics and Inventory Control Manager
Position Type: Full-Time /Non Exempt
Compensation: $13/hr. Includes full benefits package: medical, dental, vision and alternative care coverage; vacation and sick leave; holidays; flexible spending accounts; and matching retirement plan.
Are you interested in reuse? Committed to keeping good stuff out of our landfills? Ready to do meaningful work that directly supports affordable housing in the Portland Metro Area? Do something you can believe in, make a difference in the world and get paid for it too: Join our Habitat ReStore team!
ReStores accept donated building materials, furniture and appliances and sells them to the public at a fraction of retail prices to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity’s local home building projects.
There’s never a dull day at our fast paced, exciting ReStores. A typical shift involves loading and unloading cars and trucks, guiding volunteers, cashiering and helping customers with their awesome finds. All kinds of wonderful people make up our eclectic community-people like you who care about the environment and supporting affordable housing.
Be a part of the solution! Put your energy and enthusiasm to work for Habitat ReStores.
The Donation Pickup Driver is responsible for performing general driver duties as described below for residential and business pickups. After a 2 week training period, typical working hours are Wednesday-Sunday from 8:30 am-4:30 pm.
The Donation Pickup Driver is expected to perform all tasks safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with staff, volunteers and customers.
● Assist Lead Driver to train new drivers and volunteers
● Drive ReStore trucks and load and unload donated items in a safe, law abiding manner and in accordance with agency Safety and Security policies
● Prepare for daily route by reviewing Truck Safety Checklist and work orders
● Ensure every donation meets our donation criteria, and be able to politely and respectfully decline when they do not
● Communicate with donors when scheduled pickup arrival time changes
● Thank donors and provide properly completed donation slips
● Accept and document fees collected in accordance with agency policies
● Assist ReStore staff with unloading trucks or other tasks as needed
● Report conflicts, concerns, or issues with donors or volunteers as they arise
● Monitor the maintenance of our vehicles and report any issues or problems to the Manager
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Be fully competent in the use of ReStore trucks, GPS, phone systems and warehouse equipment
● Able to safely use equipment to maneuver large loads
● Be able to safely lift 50 pounds on an ongoing basis
● Dress appropriately, have a neat appearance and wear ReStore logo and nametag
● Work as a team with staff and volunteers, following the lead and direction of senior staff
● Communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and varied language skills
● Understand and be able to communicate the mission and purpose of Habitat and the ReStore to volunteers and donors
● Manage time well, such as timely arrival for shift, reporting hours, and taking appropriate breaks
● Follow and enforce safety requirements with other staff and volunteers
● Adapt to changing work environment
Drivers are required to maintain a valid Driver’s License as part of their job. In addition to meeting ODMV regulations, drivers are prohibited from engaging in conduct that would impair their ability to perform their job functions safely. All drivers are enrolled in the Oregon Department of Transportation Automated Reporting Service.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
This job operates in both an open, warehouse retail environment and on highways and residential streets in urban and rural settings. This position is very active and requires good driving skills, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing and lifting all day. The employee must frequently lift, move and/or load items over 50 pounds.
Employment is contingent on passing a background and driver’s record check.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHO FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS JOB ADVERTISEMENT ON HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB WILL BE CONSIDERED
Application packets must include:
● A complete resume, including dates of employment
● A cover letter identifying how you heard of this opportunity and addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
● Three references: at least two professional
To apply, submit the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Donations Pickup Driver’ in the subject line by May 1, 2019.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be construed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Complete details: https://www.pdxrestore.org/jobs