Post Date: 01/13/2020
Close Date: 01/24/2020
POSITION: Community Engagement Manager
SALARY: $80,897.00 - $126,433.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 01/24/20 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
The Port of Portland is a gateway to the globe. We operate multiple airports, marine terminals and business parks that connect people and passengers and drive economic growth. As a public agency, community partnerships are key to understanding both the impact of our operations and opportunities to do our best by the people we serve.
The Community Engagement Manager will coordinate the Port's community partnerships and outreach programs across multiple venues. This role will inform policy development through meaningful, consistent and relevant connections with key community groups and stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who sees opportunity in the complexity of this work, values progress over perfection and is a strong team player. Ideal candidates will have a track record of meaningful community engagement, be highly collaborative and share our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage and implement strategic community engagement program aligned with Port priorities.
• Develop and maintain impactful relationships with key partners and advocates.
• Remain current in understanding of community organizing activities, associations and coalitions.
• Represent the Port in public venues, with community members, policy advocates and stakeholders.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge and proficiency in Port's policy positions
• Identify key messages, input opportunities and target audiences for a variety of projects, partnerships and programs.
• Collaborate with Port colleagues from multiple departments to guide consistent community interaction and messaging on Port activities.
• Continually evaluate and innovate Port outreach opportunities, capacity, practices, and tools.
• Seek to maintain a deep understanding of issues-of-concern for community groups and stakeholders.
• Act as point for providing guidance and counsel for Port colleagues in community outreach and engagement activities.
• Bachelor's degree OR any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job duties (required).
• 8 years of progressive professional experience to include program management; experience with issues management in the public arena (preferred)
• Experience with public outreach, strategic communications, feedback gathering, and community-focused policy development
• Public outreach/public relations techniques, advanced issue management skills, community organizing strategies and conflict resolution
• Experience judging community engagement success and knowledge of how to adjust tools accordingly
• Confidence and the ability to make effective presentations that include verbal, graphical and written techniques
• Knowledge of key community stakeholders as well as best and emerging practices in community relations and policy development
• Familiarity with maintaining a flexible schedule to attend public events or meetings on nights and weekends
• Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license
• Ability to obtain a security badge, for access to secured areas
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Skilled at communicating effectively and building strong, working relationships with both allies and adversaries
• Skilled in risk communication writing, editing and conceptualizing compelling copy
• Strategic communication planning, community engagement facilitation and issue management skills
• Must have excellent time management and prioritization skills
• Strategically guide work to meet business, community service and policy objectives, work well in ambiguous and dynamic environment with ever-changing stakeholders
• Demonstrate organizational savvy, and understanding of the political climate of the organization and region and how to navigate challenges
• Anticipate issues and concerns, work well with diverse internal and external partners and resolve issues quickly
• Voluntarily take the first steps to identify and address existing and potential obstacles, issues, and opportunities
• Demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive
• Promote safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work
• Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
• Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
• Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
• ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
1/13/2020 PID #LI-DNI
Complete details: https://portofportland.com/Careers