Post Date: 12/18/2019
Close Date: 02/28/2020
OES seeks an enthusiastic, conscientious educator to teach after school classes in its Extension program. The Extension instructor designs and teaches after school classes following OES standards and methods for instruction. This role promotes curiosity and the exploration of ideas and concepts while fostering an appreciation for lifelong learning. In addition to the qualifications detailed below, the successful Extension instructor possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills, respect for individual differences, strong organizational skills, and the ability to support the OES mission and identity (https://www.oes.edu/aboutoes/mission-identity). This position reports directly to the Extension assistant director.
SCHEDULE: 2:55 - 4:25PM teaching time after school, 1-5 days a week. Winter term: January 13 - March 20. Possibility to continue into spring term and summer.
This part-time, seasonal position comes with all mandated benefits including paid sick leave and workers compensation insurance.
● Collaborate with Extension staff to design an 8-12 week inquiry-based course around one of (but not limited to) the following: dance, design, chess, culinary arts, theater, etc.
● Develop intellectually challenging and creative classes with developmentally appropriate and research-based practices.
● Use a variety of best curricular and instructional approaches and methods including experiential learning, cycle of inquiry, conceptual and manipulative-based approaches, reading, writing, etc.
● Develop a safe, nurturing, and exciting environment conducive to classes of 6-15 students.
● Promote the responsible, safe, and healthy use of equipment, materials, and environment.
● Individualize instruction and educate the whole child.
● Develop a familiarity with a framework for understanding students’ individual strengths, affinities, and challenges.
● Work collaboratively with colleagues in a spirit of openness and cooperation.
● Demonstrate kindness, enthusiasm, and a passion for teaching.
● BA/BS or equivalent in relevant discipline
● 2-5 years of teaching experience
● Intercultural competence, ability to teach diverse groups of students effectively; ability to work well with a wide array of students, coworkers, and family members, including those from underrepresented communities
● Basic digital literacy; some proficiency in MS Office, Google Drive and other web based applications as appropriate to job duties
● Ability to pass a background check and drug screen
● MA/MS or equivalent in relevant discipline
● Teaching License
● Prior work experience in a public or independent school setting
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Ability to collaborate and work effectively on teams
● Interpersonal skills, ability to maintain positive relations with colleagues, students, family members
● Primarily classroom environment, ability to stand or sit to deliver curriculum
● Ability to sit at computer and keyboard for moderate periods
● Ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, parents, and the public
● Ability to move about the OES campus
COMPENSATION: Hourly rate based on education and experience
APPLICATION PROCESS: Complete the OES online application, link below, and attach a cover letter and resume. Open till filled.
Follow the link below to set up a login and password that will allow you to save and return to your application:
Oregon Episcopal School does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristic or status.
Complete details: https://www.oes.edu/careers