Post Date: 01/11/2019
Close Date: 02/28/2019
Full-Time, Full Benefits
Job Code: PM-438
Our Parent Mentor program is looking for fathers to serve as mentors to Child Welfare-involved fathers in Marion/Polk County. If you’re a father who personally understands the struggles of drug addiction, believes in second chances, and have the tools and resources to mentor other dads facing similar struggles, then this job is for you!
This position requires a unique life experience, including personal experience and knowledge of addiction issues and a minimum 2 years in active program of recovery.
The Parent Mentor program matches Parent Mentors who have a past history of addiction and involvement with DHS Child Welfare with parents currently entering the Child Welfare system due to substance abuse.
The goal of the program is to support each parent’s recovery as they work toward the ultimate goal of being reunited with their children. Parent Mentors are, first and foremost, role models demonstrating the possibility of change and a healthy life as a parent in recovery.
Parent Mentors provide system navigation based on a combination of their personal experience and professional training provided by Parents Anonymous. Empowering and coaching parents through their case with DHS, supporting them at Family Decision Meetings and court hearings, and providing support for other mentors on the team are important aspects of this work.
Due to program needs our focus is to find fathers to fill this position, however all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Primary duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop a trusting relationship with assigned parents by providing regular contact and support, including attending court and/or meetings with DHS when requested by parents
• Communicate positively and professionally with DHS staff and work collaboratively to support families in assigned county
• Support parents in developing positive parenting skills and making healthy choices
Schedule: Monday through Friday, typical hours are 8AM-5PM or 9AM-6PM. Weekends off!
Program: Parents Anonymous of Oregon
Perks and Benefits: Extensive benefit package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. Company provided Life and Long-Term Disability. Paid vacation and sick time. Access to employee resource groups and much more!
Education and Experience Requirements:
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
• Personal experience and knowledge of addiction issues required
• Minimum 2 years in active program of recovery from using alcohol and other drugs required
• Personal experience of a DHS Child Welfare case required, closed for a minimum of 1 year
• High School Diploma or GED or high school level writing and reading skills
• Experience supporting other men & women in recovery
• Experience being mentored in the Parent Mentor Program
• Experience being sponsored in the 12 Step community
• Experience as a Parent Group Leader for Parents Anonymous support groups
• Knowledge of treatment and community resources
• Basic clerical experience
• Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Outlook
• Certified Recovery Mentor certificate through ACCBO
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Position requires personal transportation allowing for travel within the assigned counties in a timely manner. If driving a personal vehicle for work purposes must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for state of residency, personal auto liability insurance at $100,000/$100,000 level, and a driving record permitting coverage under corporate auto liability policy
• Must pass a criminal history check
Starting Pay Range:
Parent Mentor: $15.00 - $15.34
Parent Mentor Bilingual (Spanish): $16.35 - $16.73
Morrison Child and Family Services is a non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive array of services to children, adolescents, and their families. As an agency Morrison, its team members, and clients commit to the following values of trauma-informed care:
• Nonviolence – being safe and doing the right thing
• Emotional Intelligence – managing our feelings so we don’t hurt ourselves or others
• Social Learning – respecting and sharing ideas of our teams
• Democracy – shared decision making whenever possible
• Open Communication – saying what we mean and not being mean when we say it
• Social Responsibility – everyone makes a contribution to the organizational culture
• Growth and Change – creating hope for our clients and ourselves
• Click here to Apply!
• Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference job code “PM-438” in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter, please tell us about yourself, and your personal life experience, and why it would make you a successful candidate for this role. Indicate that you’re applying for the Parent Mentor- Marion/Polk County position.
• Alternative: Fax your cover letter/resume to Morrison Child and Family Services following the directions above to 503-736-9759.To be considered for this position you must follow this application procedure.
Position Open Until Enough Qualified Applicants Have Responded
We strive to Create a Diverse, Inclusive environment to Better Serve our Clients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Complete details: https://morrisonkids.org/job/parent-mentor-marion-county/