Post Date: 08/02/2019
Close Date: 08/20/2019
Deadline to apply: August 20, 2019 @ 5:00 PM, PDT
Salary: $15.00 hourly
Time commitment: 20-30 hours per week, based on the needs of the department.
This position is open to students or any person seeking work experience in the field of communications. Metro encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds in order to foster a community of diversity, unique life experiences and points of view.
Our Communications Team is offering an opportunity to assist with multimedia storytelling and social media on key priorities, particularly supporting the Metro Council office and strategic initiatives.
This internship will offer an opportunity to learn about strategic communications, social media planning and implementation and how to use multimedia storytelling as part of policymaking. A successful intern should already have a basic understanding of social media, video production, AP style and willingness to learn about Metro's roles and responsibilities in the greater Portland region.
This intern should have a demonstrated passion for telling the stories about what makes the greater Portland area special. In coordination with policies and practices established in partnership with Metro's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Program, candidates can appreciate that the future of a place is by its nature both opaque and controversial, and can appreciate that there are multiple valid viewpoints and perspectives that deserve to be heard and understood.
• High School GED or Diploma
• 1-2 years of marketing, journalism, or communications experience
Additional experience, knowledge and skills that would make you successful in this internship
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Intermediate level of understanding; AP style, interviewing, writing, social media.
• Skills in the following; photography, graphic design, Drupal, media outreach, Adobe primer, video editing.
• The ideal candidates possess a strong interest in researching, distilling and translating complex and long-term issues into immediately understandable and accessible language and imagery.
• Current interest in public service, regional government, communications, planning, journalism, geography or a related field and adaptability to increase knowledge in their field of study.
To apply: Visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center.
Please attach the following to your application
1. Online portfolio - in pdf format – including links to your active published works. Including but not limited to: Podcasts, edited videos, and published articles.
2. Complete electronic application
3. Answers to Writing Assignment
Your application will not be considered without all three pieces.
Metro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Complete details: www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs