Post Date: 01/09/2020
Close Date: 01/29/2020
***APPLY ONLINE AT: www.GreshamOregon.gov/jobs***
$4,945 - $6,430 per month
The City of Gresham is pleased to accept applications for a motivated and engaged Payroll Administrator position. The Payroll Administrator produces timely and accurate citywide payroll in support of all city departments, which amounts to approximately 600 Full-time, Part-time, Limited Term, Temporary and Seasonal employees. This position serves as the payroll subject matter expert and will require thorough knowledge of best practices and demonstrated experience testing and developing workflow configurations for payroll modules in anticipation of the City's new financial system.
As Oregon's fourth-largest city, Gresham is a welcoming community of hard-working people where tradition and heritage meet innovation and opportunity. Gresham is a dynamic and rapidly growing city where families and businesses have a mutual desire and drive to thrive. City of Gresham employees care deeply about the community they serve, and go 'one step beyond' to deliver services in collaborative, inventive, practical, and nimble ways. Our work is challenging, fast-paced and rewarding.
We believe that to deliver the highest level of service to all Gresham community members, it is crucial we employ a diverse workforce, foster an inclusive working environment, and ensure our policies and systems result in equitable outcomes. The City seeks candidates who will support these values by continuously incorporating equity in their daily work, and actively contributing to a workplace culture that respects unique viewpoints, life experiences, and cultural perspectives.
Come build the future with us.
Payroll responsibilities in this role include: time and attendance data entry, issuing checks, submitting requests for tax payments, reconciling general ledgers, monitoring and adjusting employee leave balances, processing W-2's, conducting benefit enrollment meetings, and keeping up to date on payroll rules and regulations to ensure compliance.
The successful candidate will perform administrative and technical support for the Payroll Department of the Finance & Management Services Department with the City. This is a full-time regular status position Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The Payroll Administrator reports to the Finance and Accounting Services Manager and applies knowledge of automated payroll systems to prepare a semi-monthly payroll. This position may also partner with departments across the City to provide subject matter expertise, which may include training, support and / or involvement on committees and projects.
What you'll get to do:
• Prepare, track and monitor: Oversee the City payroll processing programs using multiple software platforms: ADP, Munis, Telestaff, Schedule Anywhere. Establishes and maintains employee records, receives, audits and manually enters time and attendance records (TARs) and other payroll records
• Coordinate, collaborate and administer: maintains pay rates and benefit terms, reconciles and maintains termination/retirement records, applies knowledge of various insurance eligibility rules, as well as all bargaining unit benefit provisions and required employee qualifications; prepares and reconciles benefits following semi-monthly payroll process; remits benefit payments to carriers; submits changes in employee information; remits payments of all voluntary employee deductions; conducts new employee benefit orientations and other employee benefit education presentations to represented and non- represented groups with variable benefit plans and options; processes benefit enrollment forms; ensures carriers are notified regarding enrollments and changes; provides eligibility of coverage updates, assists employees in resolving questions about benefits and coverage; and provides benefit continuation consultation with separating employees.
• Support, calculate, audit, archive: Creates and updates graphs, spreadsheets, charts and other related technical documents. Calculate or use software to calculate backdated pay or benefit for retroactive effective dates. Analyze and interpret data; develop recommendations to improve routines and procedures
• Customer Service champion: represent the City of Gresham providing top notch customer service to internal staff, vendors, other city departments.
• Plan, organize, and test: provide technical assistance in configuration of new Payroll Financial system; develop test scenarios, best practice configuration, ability to self- motivate using independent judgment on tight deadlines; develops office procedures, routines and filing systems in support of program.
• Ensure compliance: carry out requirements as specified in city, state and federal laws and contracts relevant to program. Keeps current on industry standards and best practices for payroll processing and recommends policy/procedural changes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations as well as efficient operating procedures. Actively monitor for new city, state and federal payroll regulations and requirements.
• Be a reliable team member: remain vigilant as the responsibilities of this position range from moderately difficult to complex technical work. Create and maintain written procedures in support of programs and processes.
• Tackle a variety of other work: Prepares a variety of technical documents, requiring research and analysis of program policies, reports statistics, maintains databases required for programs, reviews a variety of reports for accuracy and compliance, provides feedback and facilitates changes regarding non-compliance.
Qualities we're looking for:
• Collaborative: An outgoing professional who values partnerships and forms relationships to get things done.
• Attention to Detail: An organizer and planner who thrives on details and is uncompromising in consistency and accuracy.
• Inventive: An out of the box thinker who will apply technical skills and emotional intelligence to problem-solving and who enjoys a challenge
• Nimble: A quick thinker who navigates obstacles with a positive, can-do attitude and can juggle multiple priorities and deadlines with near constant interruptions
• Curious: A continuous learner who asks questions, explores new tools and strives to meet the changing needs and expectations of the organization and community
• Trusted: maintain confidentiality and secure sensitive information
• Five years of progressively responsible payroll and/or technical/administrative experience including research, data collection and analysis, report writing, and program administration.
• An Associate's degree in public or business administration, accounting and/or payroll management and three years of progressively responsible payroll and/or technical/administrative experience including research, data collection and analysis, report writing, and program administration.
A Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) from the American Payroll Association can substitute for the Associate's degree.
• Experience working in a public agency
• Experience working with union contracts / union environment
• Experience with Governmental Payroll processes, Oregon PERS and multiple bargaining unit contracts
• Experience in maintaining and testing payroll and timekeeping systems
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts such as employee benefits or retro pay
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
• Strong ability to maintain composure and elicit empathy
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) from the American Payroll Association
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse audience
Complete details: Click Here for complete details on this position