Post Date: 05/07/2019
Close Date: 06/07/2019
Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare, one of the largest community behavioral health providers in the state of Oregon, delivers whole health care -- integrated mental health and addiction services, primary care and housing -- to support our communities. Our approach is recovery-oriented and trauma-informed. Cascadia hires innovative, compassionate and dedicated staff who are aligned with trauma-informed care and who are committed to working effectively with diverse community populations, and who are expected to strengthen such capacity if hired.
COUNSELOR II or III
This is a full time position at 40 hours per week. The work is performed in both the community with time out on the streets, in homeless shelters, community food programs, and in consumers' homes, with the Street Outreach Team's home base being in Downtown Portland. The schedule is Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:30pm.
The Street Outreach Worker works independently and as a member of a team to provide street outreach and engagement, housing placement, and time limited home based retention supports to individuals and household members impacted by homelessness and mental illness. The Worker must have strong interpersonal skills necessary to develop positive working relationships within the team and assist participants in developing trusting relationships with other individuals and support systems, and assist all participants in accessing program partner services as well as mainstream resources/health programs. The Street Outreach Worker is responsible for conducting outreach services both on the street and with local social service providers with the intent of securing housing and other essential services to resolve homelessness, while supporting a Trauma Informed Care environment. With the high prevalence of trauma among individuals receiving mental health services, it is required the Street Outreach Worker understand the effects of trauma on health, coping, and other aspects of the lives of those we serve. Services will be provided primarily on the street, in the community, and in the participant's homes. The primary goal is to quickly place participants into housing and achieve long-term housing stability.
- The Counselor II must have a Bachelor's degree in a behavioral science field from an accredited college or university or three years of full time professional experience working with adults with severe and persistent mental illness. Demonstrate the competencies to become credentialed as a Qualified Mental Health Associate (QMHA), as outlined in OAR 309-016-0005.
- The Counselor III requires a Master's Degree in a behavioral science field from an accredited college or university. Demonstrate the competencies to become credentialed as a Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP), as outlined in OAR's.
- A CADC credential is preferred given the high occurrence of substance use/abuse.
- Personal or work experience serving this community is preferred.
- Experience providing culturally specific services preferred.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Conduct a Mental Status assessment and formulate a diagnosis according to the most current DSM
- Understanding of Motivational Interviewing, Trauma Informed Care, and principles of Illness Management Recovery, and skills to provide strength based practices
- Operate Computer hardware and software at a level to effectively perform the job functions
- Enter and retrieve data
- Possess a valid driver's license, three-year driving history; clean driving record, ability to pass Driver Motor Vehicle (DMV) check and complete the Cascadia online Defensive Driving course.
- Access and ability to use a reliable vehicle in order to travel to partner sites and community appointments.
- Ability to perform CPR, First Aid, and properly use AED equipment. CPR/ First Aid certifications are required and must remain current.
To review and/or apply directly, please use the link below:
To view information about benefits, applying and our FAQs, visit our careers page at (www.cascadiabhc.org/careers)
Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com