Post Date: 02/13/2020
Close Date: 04/13/2020
Traffic Signals Manager (Engineering Services Manager III) – Public Works
Clark County Public Works looks for people who can grow, think, lead and inspire. We seek leaders, achievers and doers who bring skill, passion and commitment to public service.
Do you Think Big and carry a long-term vision to deliver excellent customer experience? Do you want to improve safety and mobility on the road network using technology and good engineering practices? Do you enjoy working with amazing people in a fast-pace environment to deliver on commitments and believe in inclusion?
If so, we invite you to learn more this challenging role.
Clark County is a leader in technology and applications for the traffic signals and ITS field. In the next two years, an additional 24 existing signals will be converted to adaptive operation. The County’s ITS system includes a fully routed Ethernet communications network and over 1,100 IP addressable field devices and over 20 servers running ITS applications.
The Traffic Signals engineering and operations section includes two professional engineers, two senior traffic signal technicians and four journey level signal technicians along with a $3 million annual budget. Clark County owns and operates approximately 100 traffic signals and maintains approximately 25 traffic signals for other neighboring agencies. At this time, 28 county signals have fully adaptive operation.
As the Traffic Signals Manager for the Public Works Department, you will continue leading the organization and traffic signal industry to provide meaningful improvements for safety and mobility along with developing and tracking performance metrics for how the system is working. You will continue the trend, pushing the technology to improve safety and mobility for the residents of Clark County. You will engage with senior leaders, both internally and externally and will be responsible for the county’s progressive traffic signal and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) program. You will plan, organize and oversee the activities and operations of traffic signal and ITS engineering and operations.
This posting is open until filled with a first review date of February 24, 2020.
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in civil engineering, traffic engineering, electrical engineering or other related field and/or a combination of experience and specialized training
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in design and operation of traffic signal systems, routed Ethernet networks and ITS systems
• Previous supervisory experience including development and managing of budgets and work plans
• Understanding of traffic signal operations using central systems and adaptive traffic signal operations
• Certification as a Professional Civil Engineer or Professional Electrical Engineer in the State of Washington, or the ability to obtain one of these within six months of hire
• A valid driver’s license
The ideal candidate will have the following strengths:
• Demonstrated leadership in transportation industry in organizations such as International Municipal Signal Association, Institute of Transportation Engineers, American Public Works Association, Women’s Transportation Seminar, Target Zero or other such organizations
• Minimum two (2) years supervisory experience including development and managing of budgets and work plans
• Advanced leadership skills with the ability to mentor and coach employees
• Confidence, skill and ability to be able to act as expert witness
• Advanced knowledge with Succession Planning Principals and practices of asset management and life cycle analysis
• Thorough understanding of communications network cybersecurity
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Able to speak in public to present information to large groups
Knowledge of: MUTCD, WSDOT standards, NEMA TS2-1 signal standards, Ethernet communications, Systems Engineering, traffic signal design, traffic signal timing, video and radar vehicle detection systems, school flashing units, server based traffic signal central systems (Trafficware software preferred), server based adaptive traffic signal operation (Trafficware Synchro Green software preferred),
Ability to: Manage multiple time sensitive projects, lead and motivate a highly capable group of engineers and technicians, creatively think, find new solutions.
HOW TO APPLY:
An online application is required. For complete job announcement, application requirements, and to apply on-line, please visit our website at:
Equal Opportunity Employer
Clark County is committed to increasing the ethnic, cultural and social diversity of its workforce and ensuring that diversity is a key priority of our organization. We are committed to providing equal opportunity and access regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a disabled person, sexual orientation/gender identity, veteran status or any other status protected by law. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Clark County’s Equal Employment Opportunity Plan is available at http://www.clark.wa.gov/human-resources/documents
If you are in need of ADA/Section 504 assistance for accommodations, please contact Human Resources at (360) 397-2456; Relay (800) 833-6388.
Salary Grade: M2.831 ($7,221.00 - $10,201.00) per month
Close Date: Open Until Filled